Bike Bag update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread where I said I was going to attempt to make a simple flight bag to get my bike on a plane.

The idea was to have something very basic and light. The bag was to fulfil the basic needs of airline companies who insist that a bike is in box or bag. The bag was not being designed to provide protection for the bike.

I have done this because I could not find a CTC bag but I also wanted something a bit more sturdy, that I could reuse and also use as a pillow.

This is Bike Bag Mark 1. It is strong and weighs 700 grammes. The size of the bag is 55cm X 25cm, but this will reduce as the bag is used and the material softens.

I am not totally happy with the webbing straps. I think they are a bit bulky when folding the bag and even though they will soften and fold more I think using the same material as I used for the bag, could be a better idea. It is spinnaker material and is very strong.

I am also not sure about a zipped top. Zips are expensive to buy and time consuming to fit. I am also not keen on velcro because it is also stiff and does not fold well.

Would a simple flap over and toggle arrangement be sufficient.

I would appreciate any input you may have.

Steve

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're a braver man than me! (My new bike got damaged in a padded bike bag and it was inside a cardboard bike box inside the bag!)

I'd suggest that you at least use some expanded foam pipe lagging on the tubes and forks. It doesn't weigh much, but at least it offers some protection!

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You raise an interesting point Colin. Over the last 5 years we have flown our bikes about a dozen times all over Europe in bags similar to this without any harm coming to them at all. We have flown them a few times with Ryanair and if you believe what you read, they will destroy a bike just for the fun of it. We even flew our bikes with Ryanair from Hamburg to Pisa without bags at all but no harm came to them.

I think there is more chance of them being damaged if you do box them up because the box provides a firm, level surface to pile other things on top of whereas a bike in a thin back does not and usually is last on the plane and first off. I often think we are miles down the road before a lot of the other passengers have left the airport.

So between Jannie and myself we have had 24 flights with thin bags, without any mishaps. I cannot believe it is all down to luck, because I am just not that lucky.

IMG_0037.jpg

Steve

Norm

I like that - and I don't even plan on flying.

That would be good just for storage, a single ceiling hook and you've got dust-free cover and a level of tidiness that most other-halves would tolerate.

In fact, make some without handles or a zip, just leaving the opening, well, open, and you've got a pretty darned handy outdoor bike cover there.

jay clock

Massive member
Sorry I missed this, and as you know I am very interested in one of these.

Firstly, what a darned handsome man!

Secondly the bag looks great and I will buy one asap when you sell them. A flap and toggle arrangement would be fine WHEN I CAN I ORDER AND HOW MUCH!!!???

Final point, I have taken about 10 return flights in the past few years (ie 20 planes) with Easyjet/Ryanair and FLybe and only had minor damage on one occasion, using the BikeAdventures bag (like CTC one). I always unbolt the rear mech and cable tie it loose.

PpPete

Legendary Member
flap/toggle or zip / lighter straps ? Whichever is cheapest to make / lightest / least bulky.
Can you get "FRAGILE" lettering on it somehow ?

How much and when are you going in to production ?

ColinJ

You raise an interesting point Colin. Over the last 5 years we have flown our bikes about a dozen times all over Europe in bags similar to this without any harm coming to them at all. We have flown them a few times with Ryanair and if you believe what you read, they will destroy a bike just for the fun of it. We even flew our bikes with Ryanair from Hamburg to Pisa without bags at all but no harm came to them.

So between Jannie and myself we have had 24 flights with thin bags, without any mishaps. I cannot believe it is all down to luck, because I am just not that lucky.
I have taken about 10 return flights in the past few years (ie 20 planes) with Easyjet/Ryanair and FLybe and only had minor damage on one occasion, using the BikeAdventures bag (like CTC one). I always unbolt the rear mech and cable tie it loose.
All I can say is that I bought a new bike for £2,000 (1999 prices), put it in a bike bag 2 weeks later and flew to Spain. I took it out of the bag and the frame was dented! Maybe I was just unlucky?
I think there is more chance of them being damaged if you do box them up because the box provides a firm, level surface to pile other things on top of whereas a bike in a thin back does not and usually is last on the plane and first off.
Stuff being piled on the bag/box is not the worst thing that can happen ... On my return to Manchester, I was sitting directly above the baggage hold and saw my bike bag thrown out onto a pile of suitcases on a baggage truck! It must have gone at least 6 feet through the air.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
OK here is the new update. Without photos. I will post some tomorrow.

I changed the straps for softer webbing straps and made them shorter but with stronger anchor points. I am still using a zip. I have added "FRAGILE" and "BIKE BAG" on both sides.

The weight is down to about 650 grammes. I made it slightly larger.

Colin, I think you were unlucky. With a 6 foot flight, I think you need to be adding wings, never mind a box. I could always start designing a "bike parachute", if there is enough call for it.

This is not a commercial venture and I won`t be selling them as I do not have the time to make them at this time of the year. This is now my busy season as everyone wants sails for the summer.

I will post photos shortly but thanks for your input.

Steve

ColinJ

Colin, I think you were unlucky. With a 6 foot flight, I think you need to be adding wings, never mind a box. I could always start designing a "bike parachute", if there is enough call for it.
I probably was unlucky and I definitely was not pleased!

After that, I bought a Scicon bike box which has so far protected my bikes on 6 return flights. The box itself took a mighty hit one year which broke the corner of the box and left a wheel flapping. I cut & bent a sheet of aluminium and Araldited it inside the corner of the box to repair the damage and make the box even stronger than it was in the first place.

In contrast to your lightweight bag, Steve, my empty box weighs about 13 kg! With a bike, tools, cycling kit and spares inside it is easy to get close to the 35 kg baggage weight limit.

Top Bottom