Bike carrying solution - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
My wife has finally put her foot down and told me I can't do any more cycling trips with my (and my mates') bikes in the back of our MPV !!

I therefore need to find a rack or other solution to carry one (possibly two) bikes on my Mercedes SLK. As you can imagine, they're not an obvious choice as bike-lugging vehicles, particularly since I don't imagine theat there will be a roof bar system that will work with it. Does any one out there have any ideas/experience with this model ?

I accept that I might need to sacrifice the possibility of getting the roof down on sunny trips if a roof mount is the best option....

Cheers

P

Coco

Have a word with these chaps:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/

Very helpful.

Fiona N

Veteran
I used to use a rear carrier on my MR2 and MGF - no problem with the roof down on a nice day. It's a bugger if you want to get into the boot, though ;)

The main thing is making sure you have suitable placements for the stability straps which stop the carrier swinging (e.g. in corners) when the bikes are loaded. This was more of a problem with the MGF and I usually just strapped the bike on the luggage rack on the boot lid instead if there was only one bike to carry.

BigSteev

pjgraham86 said:
My wife has finally put her foot down and told me I can't do any more cycling trips with my (and my mates') bikes in the back of our MPV !!
P

Any reason you can't get a rack so you can carry the bikes on the back of the MPV?

shippers

I had the same thought as bigsteev. there'll be oodles of solutions if you can use the mpv. Failing that, sell the hairdresser car and buy something manly...

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
Thanks guys.

The MPV is a non starter for a rack because it has a spoiler fitted to the top of the back window.

I might look at a boot rack, as I'd like to be able to get the roof down with the bike on board, although the guys at roofbox.co.uk said their version was for luggage rather than bikes.

As for binning the hairdresser's car, shippers, the 3.5 litre V6 in the SLK is quite manly enough for me LOL...

Landslide

Rare Migrant
pjgraham86 said:
As for binning the hairdresser's car, shippers, the 3.5 litre V6 in the SLK is quite manly enough for me LOL...

Or is it that your wife gets stuck with your car when you've got the MPV and she doesn't want to detract from her femininity? :bravo:

Top Bottom