Bike components that you hate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Being really, really picky it should be kaksio not kaksiö (Vowel harmony: with or without dots)
And yes, it would appear that there is such a thing as a kolmio but it stops there.

Staying massively off topic, I noticed in another thread I that Orbea make a bike called a katu. Katu means street in Finnish. Finnish is taking over the world.
You are absolutely right - it was me that typed in the ö, and google translate accepts it with or without. I tend to forget that in Finnish (as in Hungarian) an -i- may be ignored for vowel harmony.

I did notice though that this pattern (numeral+o/ö) carries on for three and four, giving kolmio=triangle and neliö=square. It seems to change from five though, as pentagon, hexagon are viisikulmio, kuusikulmio etc.

But yes we are getting OT here - maybe we need to start a Finnish vocabulary or Vowel Harmony thread

robjh

Legendary Member
Returning to the subject of the OP, for me it's V brakes. Why does it take me so much fiddling, so often, to keep them running smoothly and evenly? With modern road bike caliper brakes I just centre them on the frame and they do the rest.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Funkier clothing that doesn't last!
What type of garment? I've had serial gilets over 3 years: the translucent front/orange mesh rear panel ones. One good. One where the reflective strip peeled into tatters (has been sent back to invite a response/comment) and one where Funkier had seemed to go back to the original design, which is fine, a few 1000km in. All bought from my LBS.

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Rival 22 rocks

S'all right. I've got it on my Boardman and it changes very reliably - quite a 'heavy' change of gear though, if that makes sense? Also, the hoods seem chunkier than the Tiagra ones I used previously.

EDIT: No, I don't have it on my boardman, I have Force!

Last edited:
Toe clips & computer.

I used to have them but don't miss either one little bit.
Just way more zen without the tech. SPDs are just too useful in hilly areas though.

I have an adjustable leg rear luggage rack that just sucks but I can't get a normal one to fit. Adjustable racks are just a convenience for bike stores, I don't need to adjust my rack once fitted, I just need it to fit once.

Whilst I am here, can I bitch about the metalwork/cheese that comes supplied with modern full-length bolt-on mudguards. I have saved the old metalwork from 1990s ESGE/SKS versions and it is rock solid. Modern ones just split if you tighten them a tad too much.

Top Bottom