Bike fashion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
A mere three or four years ago, the urban fashionistas seemed to be opting for top-end DH bikes with 180mm fox forks and the like (which never saw a speck of mud in their lives, let alone anything remotely resembling a DH course!), and now all the cool kids have ditched their top-end DH bikes in favour or skinny-tyred fixes which are ridden in retro-stylee clothing, complete with plimsols and trousers tucked into woolly socks.

It's absurd. Completely absurd!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
So buy a nice "as new" 3 yr old DH steed from ebay now, and put your order in for a retro fixy in 2013. :tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A mere three or four years ago, the urban fashionistas seemed to be opting for top-end DH bikes with 180mm fox forks and the like (which never saw a speck of mud in their lives, let alone anything remotely resembling a DH course!), and now all the cool kids have ditched their top-end DH bikes in favour or skinny-tyred fixes which are ridden in retro-stylee clothing, complete with plimsols and trousers tucked into woolly socks.

I'd rather that than the BMX's with out brakes... it really annoys me when I see them trying to stop using their foot on the ground or the back wheel. I regularly meet one who barely manages to stop in time.... and I keep wanting to shout it would be easier with brakes.

And the fixies have much more variation to look at. I regularly lock my bike up to a purple and blue one when I go to the shops ... I assume the owner of the bike must work in one of the shops on that street.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Ah! Yes, brakeless BMX fashion ... from perhaps 6 or 7 years ago! My mate (who is now 26) still rides one and has all the scars to show what happens when you have no brakes!

That being said, I am a sucker for carbon-fibre - not because it might be in fashion, I just love the material!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

XmisterIS is 75.....

Jezston

Über Member
I wonder what the next trend will be? With the likes of David Beckham and Russell Brand jumping on the fixie bandwagon, and knock off brands like Create catering to the wannabees, what will the hipsters move on to to stay fresh?

I've already noticed the brightly coloured deep rims and anodised chains becoming less commonplace amongst the trendies, with a move more towards less garish, subtler retro look. I respect this.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

XmisterIS is 75.....

... in dog years.
biggrin.gif

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I wonder what the next trend will be? With the likes of David Beckham and Russell Brand jumping on the fixie bandwagon, and knock off brands like Create catering to the wannabees, what will the hipsters move on to to stay fresh?

I've already noticed the brightly coloured deep rims and anodised chains becoming less commonplace amongst the trendies, with a move more towards less garish, subtler retro look. I respect this.
And we respect you for saying it. Especially since Decathlon is knocking them out for seventy quid.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Team 36 arrived promptly for the match, but the Gas Hogs didn’t show. Score 1 for pedal-power, again.

with apologies to unhappyhipsters.com

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Daft fashions are a sure sign that something has peaked in popularity and is about to decline. Beckham buying a fixed wheel bike with pink wheels marked the beginning of the end of the cycling boom, the cool brigade are on the verge of finding new ways to stay ahead of the herd and deserting us and the broadsheets will soon go back to indignant articles about lycra louts instead of pull out supplements on favourite cycling routes.

It will mirror what has happened in motorcycling. There was a year on year increase in sales of leisure bikes for over a decade, every middle aged poser had to have his 'Blade or R1 for a Sunday outing, complete with all the fashion kit. Then boredom set in because most of the trendies weren't really bikers at all, just fashion junkies. Looking for a new way to be cooler than the rest bunny ears and fake pony tails started appearing on crash helmets, a sure sign that they were running out of things to spend their money on because their are only so many ways to be different on a bike. Sure enough, sales have plummeted and show no signs of slowing, especially on big bikes.

I predict that next year bicycle sales will begin a sad but inevitable decline.

woodfordp

I have to hold my hand up - I am a sucker for fads!

Raleigh Burner from when I was a kid on my list, together with trying to find a Fat Chance Yo Eddy (without importing it)..... at least I am honest!

"All the gear and no idea" - but I love it :smile:

szygy

I hope that fashion moves on from steel frames ASAP as I can't get a decent frame in my size for sensible prices at the moment.
What is going to happen to all those frames once the trendies have moved on? Those that have not been butchered by the tweed and angle-grinder brigade may live on, but many will be left to languish as fixies are not the easiest of everyday rides.

Top Bottom