Bike for a 70 year old woman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Trouble with Dutch type sit up and beg is they weigh a ton!
My Dutchie weighs almost exactly the same as my modern aluminium hybrid. You can get ones that weigh a ton (Pashley!) but they don't have to.

Second the idea above about test rides. Folders tend to have very low step-throughs and have the benefit that you can put them folded on trains and most buses if you get tired. folding e-bikes might be another idea if trains and buses are rare where you are.

I assume it applies to really old men like me too - I'll bear it in mind and try not to go too fast or fall off ;). Of course she might well progress to a road or CX bike too - who knows.

It applies mainly to older women according to the science bit.
Since her son is trying to get her into cycling, it means she will be a relative newbie or very rusty skills. Not at all like those older women in the CTC who have been riding all their lives and are highly skilled. Chances of low speed crash are higher for un skilled elderly riders. Consequences of low speed crash are higher for older women. I refused to help an 80 year old lady take up cycling for this reason.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
@Glasgow44 Why would you want to fit those awful heavy slow tyres, make cycling easier not harder for her :smile:
Yes - I'm dreading my 70th birthday, I have visions of my kids turning up with a van full of Marathon Plus and slime filled tubes, holding me back while my GP4000s and other unsuitable-for-your-age type tyres are ripped from my Mavics and replaced with sensible tubes and tyres ........ :stop:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Why not?

For example, the Katu is a relatively lightweight but compact and fully kitted out bike that's ideal for the sort of use the OP described. Plus they're great fun, as those of us who have played with @Hill Wimp's can testify.
Goodness yes this would be ideal. It has a good sized metal basket for shopping and a rear rack of she wants to add panniers. It's my shopping and tootling bike. I love it :bicycle::biggrin:

Wow. Please go away then.

The world is full of people who will tell you cycling is too dangerous. If you are going to be one of them, please don't post it on here.

Closer to 90, with fading memory, fading vision, quite fit and in good shape for her age but in no way would I feel good putting her on the road on bike.
Usually if someone asks for help, I point them in the right direction but I make a point of not trying to persuade someone to ride if they are going to endanger themselves.

Closer to 90, with fading memory, fading vision, quite fit and in good shape for her age but in no way would I feel good putting her on the road on bike.
Usually if someone asks for help, I point them in the right direction but I make a point of not trying to persuade someone to ride if they are going to endanger themselves.
So someone asks about a bike for 69 year old and you bring up an someone who is nearly 20 years old than her, with all sorts of issues the OP's mother doesn't have because ..... all women over 60 are the same?

Deep sexism and agism.

You could try treating her like an adult, and at the very least avoid smugly gloating you kept her off the road on CC. I'm sure you can find plenty of men at the pub who don't ride to agree with you.

Top Bottom