bike for a lady

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mrs alecetc is thinking of getting a new bike, mainly for 1m commute and maybe for a daytime pootle with an infant carrier on the back.

lbs has the claud butler classic for £200, and it ticks every box and seems a lot of bike for the money.

anybody had one of these (men's or ladies')? what do you think?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks pretty smart - the chain guard is a good idea for a pootle....

You don't need a kids seat do you ?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Carerra Subway 1. 10% off online from Halfords this weekend. I think they're about £200 in store.

I had a CB similar to that one. It was the next one up I think. It was ok. A couple of my nieces also have them. I think the Subway is altogether a much better bike designed and built bike though. My wife has one and she loves it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_productId_240389_langId_-1_categoryId_60955

It doesn't come with guards or a rack, but SKS guards are only £20 -don't whatever you do buy the Halfords Dirt Monkey guards, they're terrible.

i wouldn't trust our local halfords, bunch of spanner monkeys. i agree that carrera bikes are decent, i've got one. it's just a shame that the quality of mechanic workmanship at the place lets them down. i got very lucky when i bought mine, apparently the chap at halfords who put mine together is now at a decent bike shop of good repute.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I had (and adored) a Dawes Discovery 201 which I got for roughly £200 and it had a girl frame as well. Hugely recommended. I tried a similar CB and preferred the Dawes.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
fossyant said:
I have a little used bike seat thingy if you don't yet have one ?

is it a rack mounted one? we already have one of the ones that slots in to bulky bracket on the bike, which on a small framed bike has previously required the saddle to be removed before installing the child seat.

Milo

Guru
I agree I like dawes i recently got a giro 300 basic road bike. Pleased as punch only problem is they tend to ship with tektro brakes which can be a bit cack. Mine were supplied broken but were replaced within 3 working days on warranty.
Still when iv'e got the dough im going to get some shimano.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
alecstilleyedye said:
is it a rack mounted one? we already have one of the ones that slots in to bulky bracket on the bike, which on a small framed bike has previously required the saddle to be removed before installing the child seat.

Sorry it's a frame mounted one.... ah well....anyone else need one !

gbb

Legendary Member
I just got the wife a Dawes Kalahari...very nice looking, open framed,but it was £250 from the LBS.
It is available online at £200ish...but i wanted to be sure we got the right size..and looking at the thing in the flesh is important as well.

The only dissapointment was the showroom bike was a 2007, with Shimano V brakes and cranks. The one we actually got was a 2008...which i didnt realise has Tektro V brakes and unbranded (AFAIK) cranks. I think i'd go for the 07...different wheels as well.

Still....she is a VERY happy bunny.:ohmy:

Beware tho...she told me off in the shop for trying to influence her on all the various bits and bobs. You do want this...you dont want that :biggrin:

BOG OFF..she said...i dont tell you which bike to have...I'M going to choose MY bike...not you.
:blush:

Top Bottom