Bike for work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Makemore

Im looking for a 3 speed hub geared bike for work but not sure if they are suitable for getting up hills and commuting,i was looking for something cheap like a viking downtown,raleigh chiltern or charge steamer does anyone anyone have experience of these or others or should i be looking at more gears?,thanks

snorri

Legendary Member
More gears=more time and expense on maintenance and repairs.
Decisions decisions :sad:

Jezston

Über Member
I ride a custom built 3-speed hub geared road bike to work. Perfectly fine for me unless you are climbing seriously steep and long hills, although I expect mine is substantially lighter than any of those you linked!

OP
OP
M

Makemore

No seriously steep hills ,can hub gears be altered at home if i buy online or would i need an expert to set it up

corshamjim

I use a 3-speed (modern Sturmey Archer XL-RD3 hub) for commuting (4 miles each way). I find it fine for that. There are a few hills on my commute, but none of them terribly steep. Depending on the wind direction and how I feel I quite often don't use 1st gear.

It's cheap and easy to change the rear sprocket to raise or lower the gear ratios overall. I fitted the largest sprocket available (22t) to give me the lowest gears possible. According to Sheldon's Gear Calculator that's 39", 52" and 69.3" (with 26" wheels and a 44t chainring). The 69.3" top gear I find isn't quite as high as I'd like, but I'm reluctant to sacrifice the low gear as I often carry loads, and have just bought a trailer too.

Of those 3 bikes I would recommend the Charge Steamer, as the drum brakes work equally well in all weathers and need almost no maintenance.

thelawnet

how about the Carrera Subway 8 - a better hub and a reasonable price; you can pick up lightly used ones for £100-£150 on ebay with no problem or £400 for a new one.

I have a 6 speed hub geared bike for commuting - my Brompton. It's really a 3 speed hub plus a funny dérailleur thing.
Most often I cycle as a 3 speed and it's perfectly fine but my commute is flat. I use the bottom for getting away from traffic lights, and usually pedal in top gear on the flat. In a headwind I do like the extra flexibility of the 6 speed over the three, but on my commute over 90% of the time I'm essentially riding a 3 speed hub gear.

Jezston

Über Member
how about the Carrera Subway 8 - a better hub and a reasonable price; you can pick up lightly used ones for £100-£150 on ebay with no problem or £400 for a new one.

A BETTER hub, Sir? Just because it has more gears doesn't make it BETTER! ;)

A wheel with a SA 3-speed hub in it is a lot easier to get off than a nexus/alfine hub for a start.

dicko

Guru
I used to dream of having a bike with a three speed hub. Then I got one (brand new 1963 Moulton Standard) and it was everything I had always wanted. Over the years and bikes now come with 18 to 28 gear Shimano's but I noticed today that I am only using three of them. Maybe its just me.

D

Deleted member 1258

[QUOTE 1368752"]
That reminds me. There's a three geared fixed hub apparently. (That's what I want for xmas!)
[/quote]

I'd like to try one of those one day

I used to dream of having a bike with a three speed hub. Then I got one (brand new 1963 Moulton Standard) and it was everything I had always wanted. Over the years and bikes now come with 18 to 28 gear Shimano's but I noticed today that I am only using three of them. Maybe its just me.

For my commuting and general running about I use single speed fixed, on the Sunday rides the bike I use has 20 gears yet I often find that all I've used is three of them.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I commute 5 miles with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer AW. I've got one reasonable hill and the lowest gear is fine. I don't feel the need for more gears.

OP
OP
M

Makemore

Ordered the charge steamer 2010 half price for 250 at evans cycles i just hope it dont feel to slow and hard work compared to my road bike but im looking forward to riding in an upright position and hate having a ruck sack on my back in hot weather

dicko

Guru
That looks like a useful bike to have. For half price its a bargain it has a carrier, hub brakes, mudgards too. In all my years of biking I have never had a problem with Sturmey Archer hubs or going up hills with them.

Top Bottom