Bike found! White steel road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ha, result! The owner, who lives in the next block on my estate, has just come round to collect with a couple of beers for me. And as he works in a bike shop there might be a little discount to come my way on future purchases.

Finally, it has been a pleasure dealing with Sophie at Bike Register - very helpful. Next time there's a police bike marking session near you, go for it!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Got there in the end then?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Ha, result! The owner, who lives in the next block on my estate, has just come round to collect with a couple of beers for me. And as he works in a bike shop there might be a little discount to come my way on future purchases.

Finally, it has been a pleasure dealing with Sophie at Bike Register - very helpful. Next time there's a police bike marking session near you, go for it!

So how did the bike get there, where you found it ?

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So how did the bike get there, where you found it ?
The chain lock holding it to a pipe on their balcony (no room inside the flat and the only solid pipes on the balcony are too broad for D-locks) had been cut. They'd had a go at the Kryptonite D-lock but didn't really get much further than the plastic coating. They either gave up or were disturbed in the path where I found it.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
The chain lock holding it to a pipe on their balcony (no room inside the flat and the only solid pipes on the balcony are too broad for D-locks) had been cut. They'd had a go at the Kryptonite D-lock but didn't really get much further than the plastic coating. They either gave up or were disturbed in the path where I found it.

Ahhh right, thanks for that ............. he was very lucky someone didn't just strip it for spares then.

What a great story but it can't be finished,,,,,,,,,can it?

What was the bike? Did you get to ride it?

What was the BBQ like? new friends?
Why wasn't it reported stolen when obviously he'd gone to the trouble of using Bike Register.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What a great story but it can't be finished,,,,,,,,,can it?

What was the bike? Did you get to ride it?

What was the BBQ like? new friends?
Why wasn't it reported stolen when obviously he'd gone to the trouble of using Bike Register.
Oops, now it's back with its owner, I suppose I can say that it was a white Arthur Caygill Reynolds 525 triathlon steel bike - they're a Richmond (the Yorkshire one, not the deer park one) outfit. I still haven't had a go on it but I will. The lad built it over Christmas and is planning to take it on tour (Netherlands, if I remember correctly) around about now.

I didn't ask him about the police. In any event, the police were worse than useless (not phoning at allotted time, not turning up to collect when they were expected, and their phone lines were downright unhelpful) and Bike Register were reassuringly good to deal with.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
@deptfordmarmoset
Excellent work, outstanding tenacity, superb rant, and hats off for being an all-round decent human being.
Thanks indeedly. Though other people may disagree about the decency bit... :smile: But it was worth it just for the feeling and the other guy knowing that some cyclists will look out for them. That reminds me, he should be back from his tour of the Netherlands by now, I must give him a call.

Top Bottom