Bike Hanging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
On the topic of hanging bikes. My garage roof is a steel truss structure.

Is there issues hanging bikes up by their saddle? So hooking the saddle over beam?
Quite a lot of the bikes in John's shop (Bob Warner Cycles) are hung on steel tubes above head height and have been for the 35yrs I've known the fella.

John is into his 70s now and works alone in possibly the best bike shop ever, famous as a wheelbuilder for Classic Racing Sidecar Outfits/Morgan 3 Wheelers/ Classic Racing Cars (he does a lot of Bugatti/Ferrari/Alfa Romeo/Jaguar wheels for Classic Racing) hence the photos on the back of the stairs door.

I've posted this video before but if you haven't seen it then well worth a watch for it's view of what shops were/should be like,

View: https://youtu.be/VEfWWmQhWLk

BTW he doesn't do much on Di2 equipped plastic jobbies. :laugh:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
On the topic of hanging bikes. My garage roof is a steel truss structure.

Is there issues hanging bikes up by their saddle? So hooking the saddle over beam?
Preferred method at Hillingdon TT
17286358914_0fc960c90e_k.jpg

Rustybucket

Veteran
IMG_2027.JPG
I'm abit of a novice when it comes to all things DIY - so excuse my stupid questions!!!

I'm planning on hanging my 5 bikes off of my Garage wall on the hooks previously discussed. My stupid question is: will my garage wall be able to support all 5 bikes? I'm assuming yes based on previous photos on this thread?

Photo attached - thanks for any help :okay:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
View attachment 338920 I'm abit of a novice when it comes to all things DIY - so excuse my stupid questions!!!

I'm planning on hanging my 5 bikes off of my Garage wall on the hooks previously discussed. My stupid question is: will my garage wall be able to support all 5 bikes? I'm assuming yes based on previous photos on this thread?

Photo attached - thanks for any help :okay:

Single skin brick will be fine, just don't hang your car off it...

Rustybucket

Veteran
I think you would be best with wall brackets as the roof timbers look a bit high to reach

Something like this...
View attachment 338922

Yep got these!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If you buy some of those big red plastic-coated hooks from DIY stores and screw them into the ceiling joists the spacing is just perfect for hanging a row of bikes alternately top to tail. As for straining the bike by hanging it up - you're talking a bike that's designed to carry and brake the weight of somebody of up to 100 kilos and you're worried about the bike weighing 10 kilos self-destructing?
That's what I use £2 for 2, coupled with a fence bracket @ 99p to keep the wheel straight. So less than £2 per bike.

Top Bottom