Bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not sure if this counts as kit and accessories, but here goes.

Due to a very tight budget for the last few years, none of my bikes are insured, and I don't have general contents insurance, because I rent, so have no household policy, and anyway, nothing I own apart from the bikes is very valuable in monetary terms - I had a student policy for a while, but it got pretty pricey, and anyway, bikes weren't included.

Anyway. Now I'm earning I'm wondering about bike insurance. Basically, is it worth it? What's the deal regarding new for old and so on. It's complicated a bit by the fact that none of my bikes are off the peg, so the values are tricky. The winter hack is completely made up of old bits. The Giant FCR I got secondhand. The Galaxy ditto, for £15. My old trike is probably not worth much, but I may be in with a chance of a new one at a reduced price in the next month or so. I suppose the Galaxy would be the most expensive to replace, if I bought a brand new one, although mine is probably 20 years old, so it's barely the same bike as a new one.

I guess I've been lucky until now, one bike stolen in 10 years, and that had more sentimental value than monetary. But I do wonder what if, and then there's the risk of accident damage.

Any advice on good companies, what sort of deals are worth the money and so on? Two of the bikes always live up here in the flat, one downstairs in the lobby, locked to itself, inside the communal Yale front door, and the trike in a lockup across town.

tmcd35

I'm in a similar situation, very tight on cash, and all household insurances have long been cancelled until I can clear some debts.

That said I had an uninsured bike stolen back in August. I ordered a replacement using a work bike loan. It was stolen the same day I'd collected it from the LBS. Thankfully I'd completed the online insurance as soon as I'd got the bike home and the insurance company has paid out!

My only complaint is the whole claims process has been very drawn out - but atleast I finally get a bike on Saturday :wacko:

yashicamat

House insurance isn't always a cheap option anyway; I enquired about mine and they wanted £150 per annum for my Rockhopper Comp and my Surly Long Haul Trucker (combined value of about £2k). There were also ridiculous caveats about the class of lock that had to be used (the list seems to contain locks only over about £80 in value and hardly any are available in this country anyway).

In the end, I just bought two decent locks and just take care with where I leave the bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I insured a £500 bike for (I think) about £49 pa. The policy was via Evans Cycles, and I think it is exactly the same as the Cyclecare one, but about a tenner cheaper, for some reason. The small print needs very close scrutiny . Like all thieving insurance people, they will do their utmost to wriggle out of their obligations, so beware.

I looked at insuring it on the household policy, but I would have been financially shafted if I made a claim because my no-claims bonus would have gone out of the window.

Anyway, Good Luck.

Noodley

I have never bothered.

I'd rather spend money on something I will need/want rather than speculate on something negative happening.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Insurance is never worth it if you can afford to replace it.

Hence I insure house contents and the building itself. I also only insure my car for TPFT. It would hurt to replace the car, but I can afford it, but can't afford the payout for my own stupidity, e.g. wiping out someone else's car. And have to insure it for this too. Bike is insured again for third party issues mainly, although insurance does cover replacement costs.
Also get insurance for holidays - cost of repatriation, etc is well above what I can afford.

Norm

BrumJim said:
Insurance is never worth it if you can afford to replace it.
+1 to that.

Insurance is useful for things that you couldn't afford to cover if they went wrong. Insurance for something that you could afford to replace is, IMO, giving the insurer profits unnecessarily.

Stand alone bike policies seem to be fairly expensive and, from what I've read on here, restrictive. Adding a bike to a household policy cost me only a few pounds, though. With 5 bikes now added to the policy (total cost about £20, total value about £1,500), the only restriction is on the Secteur which must be "locked when not at home". There was no specification of the lock to be used, though.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Interesting stuff, thanks. I have to say, having multiple bikes means that losing one wouldn't leave me without a ride, and TBH they all have sentimental value way beyond any monetary value. I'd be gutted to lose any of them, but more for emotional attachment than value.

A friend did suggest that it could be as useful to bung a tenner in a saving account every week and never touch it, and, based on the frequency with which any one of my bikes might be stolen or damaged (assuming I'm careful), I'd have a fund to replace it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine are insured via household contents. CIS are pretty good - value up to £1k included, then if you have any bike more than that, you can add an extension.

Claims handling has been good the two times I have used it....one for bike parts after a hit and run, the other for a camera.

ASC1951

Guru
slowmotion said:
The small print needs very close scrutiny . Like all thieving insurance people, they will do their utmost to wriggle out of their obligations, so beware.
That's because they are hugely outnumbered by thieving policy holders.

I have never understood why some people are outraged if you suggest they try shoplifting, but have no moral problem with cheating their insurance companies.

I'm with the rest of you. I only insure against catastrophe i.e house and compulsory car insurance. Not having contents insurance has saved me a fortune, despite a couple of burglaries.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Our bikes were included on the household insurance at no extra cost...

DirectLine in case you want to know.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
I'm with the rest of you. I only insure against catastrophe i.e house and compulsory car insurance. Not having contents insurance has saved me a fortune, despite a couple of burglaries.

Huh..??
Wot about a fire trashing the whole house AND contents?
Topically, FLOOD
Not catastrophic enough?
You squatting in empty house or wot?

bauldbairn

Bike's insured fully comp with Butterworth, through CTC. Think it's about £65.

I can afford to replace my bike, but - serious personal injury/legal costs and third party damage are all things that have unknown cost.

I will however shop around next year for quotes as I now do with my other insurance policies.

Top Bottom