Bike Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jodami84

Did a quick search for similar questions, but couldnt find any to my surprise.

Am looking for some recomendations on where to get reasonable bike insurance. After a spate of bike thefts (and my weight set) being stolen in recent weeks i wanted to look into getting some cover for my bike. I would be looking to insure it for 500 notes and it is kept in an outdoor metal shed with a good hefty padlock.

All recommendations appreciated?

Norm

Household insurance? Most bike-only insurances will charge a premium of around 10% and require gold-rated locks when away and brick storage at home.

My household insurance covers all my bikes, only one of them needs to be locked to be covered and the premium is about 1% of the bikes' value, so a tenth what a cycle policy would cost.

Surprised that you can't find anything as a search on the word insurance turns up 1,000 hits. Many of which (I haven't checked them all) say the same as I've written above. ;)

tmcd35

My bike is insured with Evans and I really can't fault them. Had a new bike stolen the day I bought it home from the LBS, they paid out in full with no excess - no questions. :sad:

Joe54

Insurance

Just renewed my insurance with Cycleguard JLT Online (underwritten by Fortis) Cost £55 includes £5 loyalty bonus. Requires "Sold Secure Silver Rating" Lock such as ABUS - Ketard. Hope that helps.

g00se

Veteran
Norm said:
Household insurance? Most bike-only insurances will charge a premium of around 10% and require gold-rated locks when away and brick storage at home.

My household insurance covers all my bikes, only one of them needs to be locked to be covered and the premium is about 1% of the bikes' value, so a tenth what a cycle policy would cost.

Surprised that you can't find anything as a search on the word insurance turns up 1,000 hits. Many of which (I haven't checked them all) say the same as I've written above. ;)

Who's your house policy with? When I checked mine, the small print was much the same regarding locks and storage and the premium was as much as the insurance I got through CTC.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jodami84 said:
Did a quick search for similar questions, but couldnt find any to my surprise.

Am looking for some recomendations on where to get reasonable bike insurance. After a spate of bike thefts (and my weight set) being stolen in recent weeks i wanted to look into getting some cover for my bike. I would be looking to insure it for 500 notes and it is kept in an outdoor metal shed with a good hefty padlock.

All recommendations appreciated?

I am surprised that you couldn't any similar questions, there have been several threads on bicycle insurance. Most people find that their bike is already insured under their Home contents insurance, which is usually the cheapest way of getting cover. So before before trying to buy insurance Home contents policy, you might already have cover. :biggrin:

orienteer

M&S or Greenbee (John Lewis) house insurance policies cover individual bikes up to £4k in value, both policies are actually with AXA.

Insuring a bike separately is, as pointed out, expensive, usually at least 10% of its value. Better off simply putting the money aside towards an eventual replacement!

colinr

Looking at M&S insurance, I can't find anything in policy documents about bike cover away from home (or at home for that matter). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cycleguard want just over £200 for up to £2k of bike value including third party liability. M&S comes in at £170 for contents, plus £35 to join CTC for third party - seems like a lot better value!

Top Bottom