bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Are there companies that will insure bikes? (can't get them insured on house insurance).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have just insured our new bike with Cycleguard, (the rest are covered by the household insurance). No idea how good they are.

Mortiroloboy

Kirstie said:
You can get them insured on your house insurance if you have marks and spencers insurance. They have single item cover up to 4 grand.

Bet their Contents insurance is dearer though, does that extra (this isn't just insurance, its M&S insurance) that you pay on your other chattels make up for the fact you can have a bike covered for upt £4,000?

mr Mag00

rising member
i take my wheels out when storing the bike and photographed all the parts separately so should 'IT' happen i can claim they are all individual items up to £1500

Mortiroloboy

mr Mag00 said:
i take my wheels out when storing the bike and photographed all the parts separately so should 'IT' happen i can claim they are all individual items up to £1500

Hmm, interesting concept, but somehow I think that the insurance company wouldn't buy that...Would they?

Mortiroloboy

Many house insurers will cover your bikes on their policy, either automatically or as a listed item. As Kirstie said, M&S have good cover, but lots of others do. I'm with Tesco and they cover my bikes without having them listed. You just need to shop around. You'll save yourself money if you get them on your househilld cover rather than insuring them separately. Jut make sure that you follow any specific requirements that they have, like which lock they insist on if they do.

I'd point you towards a recent thread on the same subject, bit it got a bit silly over there.

Norwich Union wouldn't cover my Wilier, when the girl in the call centre asked me what the replacement value was and I told her over £2,000 she thought I was talking about a motorbike not a pedal cycle. We have max £500 on bikes, but they wont insure bikes over £1,500.

Hugo15

Über Member
User259iroloboy said:
Norwich Union wouldn't cover my Wilier, when the girl in the call centre asked me what the replacement value was and I told her over £2,000 she thought I was talking about a motorbike not a pedal cycle. We have max £500 on bikes, but they wont insure bikes over £1,500.

I had the same issue with Norwich Union last year. I went to M&S instead after good reports on various forums. M&S insurance is provided by....... wait for it..... yes you guessed it...... Norwich Union. ;)

Mortiroloboy

Hugo15 said:
I had the same issue with Norwich Union last year. I went to M&S instead after good reports on various forums. M&S insurance is provided by....... wait for it..... yes you guessed it...... Norwich Union. :angry:

Well I never. ;):ohmy:

Mortiroloboy

Mrs M is always in there, I'll get her to pick up a leaflet from the till area, although she is very resistive to change, perhaps if I tell her it's still the same company she might be interested. With the bike my main concern is accidental damage more than theft.

Funny old thing about insurance...with cars fully comp. or third party, fire and theft. I always wondered...exactly who would steal a car that was on fire?:angry:;)

Top Bottom