Bike & Kit for a fat bloke, thinking Cannondale Quick CX 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oBeast

I haven't really cycled in 30 years. Up until getting my driving licence, I rode my 12 speed road bike everywhere. Obviously times and bikes were very different then; the bikes came with mud guards and wheel locks fitted (that horseshoe shaped one over the rear wheel fixed on the frame which probably could've been removed with a screwdriver).

So, 30 years is a lot of catching up to do.

I need a bike for a round town and also hoping to get on dirt roads & trails, as I live by South Downs. Maybe eventually getting into trekking/bikepacking.

I've kinda set my mind on Cannondale Quick CX 4 mainly because I really like the minimalist look of Bad Boy but need more versatility and it has a max load of 150kg. As a CX bike, it seems to be a good all arounder.

Reviews/comments about the CX 4 have been pretty positive from what I've read.

I also want mud guards and a good lock so I can ride in the rain and leave it outside while running errands.

Any recommendations for mud guards?
Any recommendations for locks? Do I need to lock front wheel as well? Do I need anti-theft wheel nuts?
Lights recommendations?
Are standard tires ok? Should I get bigger/fatter tires?

Any other gear I should invest in, besides a helmet?

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't really cycled in 30 years. Up until getting my driving licence, I rode my 12 speed road bike everywhere. Obviously times and bikes were very different then; the bikes came with mud guards and wheel locks fitted (that horseshoe shaped one over the rear wheel fixed on the frame which probably could've been removed with a screwdriver).

So, 30 years is a lot of catching up to do.

I need a bike for a round town and also hoping to get on dirt roads & trails, as I live by South Downs. Maybe eventually getting into trekking/bikepacking.

I've kinda set my mind on Cannondale Quick CX 4 mainly because I really like the minimalist look of Bad Boy but need more versatility and it has a max load of 150kg. As a CX bike, it seems to be a good all arounder.

Reviews/comments about the CX 4 have been pretty positive from what I've read.

I also want mud guards and a good lock so I can ride in the rain and leave it outside while running errands.

Any recommendations for mud guards?
Any recommendations for locks? Do I need to lock front wheel as well? Do I need anti-theft wheel nuts?
Lights recommendations?
Are standard tires ok? Should I get bigger/fatter tires?

Go test ride the bike and see if it suits you (Is it a CX (Cyclocross) with drop bars, or just called CX by Cannondale and is actually flat barred?)

Any recommendations for mud guards? Ones that fit the bike, full length - SKS Chromoplastic / Commuter, get the shop to fit
Any recommendations for locks? Do I need to lock front wheel as well? Do I need anti-theft wheel nuts? A big heavy D Lock and a cable for the front wheel would be advised in any town centre / railway station (plus insurance for your new shiny bike, look at your home contents in the first instance)
Lights recommendations? For town or country only...are the paths lit at all? Moon are a good brand
Are standard tires ok? Should I get bigger/fatter tires? What tyres are on the bike as standard? Post a link :smile:

Helmets aren't compulsory in the UK

Other stuff - there's another post very similar to check out from today
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycle-clothing-for-newbies.253160/#post-5734759

Last edited:
OP
OP
oBeast

oBeast

Go test ride the bike and see if it suits you (Is it a CX (Cyclocross) with drop bars, or just called CX by Cannondale and is actually flat barred?)

It's (apparently) a CX model of the Quick which is a hybrid, but more trail ready.

Are standard tires ok? Should I get bigger/fatter tires? What tyres are on the bike as standard? Post a link :smile:

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-cx-4-2020-hybrid-bike-EV360883

Here's Evans' link. In video reviews I've seen couple of other makes/models of tires, so I'm not 100% sure which tires they come with, other than those seem to be 'hybrid' ie suitable for roads and trails, which might be a compromise.

Helmets aren't compulsory in the UK

Well, yes, but for trails, I think they'd make sense.

Other stuff - there's another post very similar to check out from today
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycle-clothing-for-newbies.253160/#post-5734759

Cheers, I take a look, and thanks for the other recommendations, I add them to my research list.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel

Padded shorts .... or padded inner shorts. If you are as heavy as I think you are suggesting, you'll be glad of that tip.
If you find you break spokes or get quite a few rear wheel punctures, message me and I'll be happy to add some further spoke/tyre suggestions.
Cheers, Donger (300lb, 3,000 miles a year cyclist!).

OP
OP
oBeast

oBeast

Padded shorts .... or padded inner shorts. If you are as heavy as I think you are suggesting, you'll be glad of that tip.
If you find you break spokes or get quite a few rear wheel punctures, message me and I'll be happy to add some further spoke/tyre suggestions.
Cheers, Donger (300lb, 3,000 miles a year cyclist!).

Cheers, did/do you go with the standard saddle that came with your bike?

Yes, 6'3 1/2 & 300lb

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Could you post a link to the bike in question?
I should buy the bike from a LBS rather than on line so if you have any issues you can just run it back, they should also be able to advise on locks and mudguards etc.
If you haven't ridden for a long time you might have trouble getting used to the saddle, you might even want to change it, but padded shorts will help as @Donger says.
Use the bike for a while and then you can think about what to change.
Good luck.

OP
OP
oBeast

oBeast

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Could you post a link to the bike in question?
I should buy the bike from a LBS rather than on line so if you have any issues you can just run it back, they should also be able to advise on locks and mudguards etc.
Good luck.

Here' the link https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-cx-4-2020-hybrid-bike-EV360883

I can go into Evans here in Brighton, but if someone can recommend an indie selling Cannondale in BTN, I can try that too.

Cheers!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The market at this price point is very competitive and there's a lot of choice. I would avoid suspension fork as at this price it will add weight and little to comfort. The spec is quite basic. You are better off with a carbon fork if you can find a model with one. It has quite large 40c tyres which will be comfortable but it won't feel quick.
I'd look at this Cannondale;
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-disc-3-2019-hybrid-bike-EV338240
Narrower tyres, carbon fork and hydraulic brakes which will be less fuss than cabled operated.
You could also consider this Trek;
https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx-3-disc-2019-hybrid-bike-EV311947
Or this one;
https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx-3-2019-hybrid-bike-EV370466
Although this doesn't have hydraulic brakes.
Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, just checkef the only one in your size is the last one.
This could be worth a look if you have a Decathlon nearby;
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc500-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-sora-id_8554412.html

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Cheers, did/do you go with the standard saddle that came with your bike?

Yes, 6'3 1/2 & 300lb

I did for a while, but was treated to a Brooks saddle for Christmas last year and, once softened up with olive oil, it's been superb. Expensive, though.

OP
OP
oBeast

oBeast

The market at this price point is very competitive and there's a lot of choice. I would avoid suspension fork as at this price it will add weight and little to comfort. The spec is quite basic. You are better off with a carbon fork if you can find a model with one. It has quite large 40c tyres which will be comfortable but it won't feel quick.

The fork has a quick lock to switch suspension on/off. This is why the Quick CX version would be more versatile compared to regular Quick.

The SR Suntour forks are, well, to be blunt, shoot. I'd really question if you need forks for what that bike was designed to do. I think the advantages are minimum. They'll also add a lot of weight, they're probably 2.5kg compared to half that for normal forks.

If you're riding trails that need suspension, that's probably the wrong bike. I'd counsel against the suspension version, especially at that price point, you'd have to double your budget for decent'ish suspension forks. It does have 40c tyres which will cushion a lot of the small impacts the bike is designed for. You'll also find that SR units fail quite quickly and one of the first things to go is the supposed lockout.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Id agree with the responses above - suspension on the front only really useful if you're going over rocky trails and stuff rather than just gravel trails and off road paths. Just so you're not disappointed further down the line, it's not a Cyclocross bike - if you're after one of those, look at these: https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/c...brand/cyclocross-discipline/gravel-discipline bit pricier generally and quite different to what you're looking at, but if you want some fastish fun on trails and tracks, I'd recommend a CX bike. Love mine and never use the MTB since I bought the CX - I either use my road bike (on-road, dry weather and turbo), or cx bike (everything else) :-)

For errands around town, rear rack and pannier bags, sks full length bolt on mudguards, lights. Gloves are useful if you take a fall. Bright, reflective windproof jacket for cool dry days and another one that is waterproof. Basic repair kit with spare inner tube.
Tyres for mixed use are always a compromise. CX knobbly tyres can wear down quickly on the road. I have used a std commuter tyres (Schwalbe Marathon plain not plus) on the South Downs Way.

Top Bottom