Bike maintenence course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I went to the Edinburgh bike maintenence course on Friday.

I have to say it was a very good day, and when I get a chance I will write a little review of it. I think my only complaint was that we didn't have time to cover everything I wanted to cover. We didn't have time to look at a bottom bracket, although, because of the other things we did cover (and the notes that were handed out) I think I would be willing to give it a go myself at some point.

At the start of the session we had to introduce ourselves and when I said that I use the bike 5 days a week for a 10 mile round trip the 'teacher' seemed quite surprised. At first I though that was because he thought it was a crap bike. However, he later commented on how good condition it was in considering, although my rims are looking a bit worn....:biggrin:

A few points:

A workstand makes everything much easier. I'll have to invest in one.

The right tools make everything much easier. I'll have to invest in some.

Popping into the bike shop makes lusting after a new bike much easier. I'll have to invest in one!!

There were some nice bikes there, and I must admit I did like the look of the Specialized Tricross Sport. Nice looking bike and I think it ticks a lot of the boxes for what I need. Hmmm. I just need to find £750.....:thumbsdown:

mcb2080

Hi magnatom, looking forward to having a read of your blog as I think that I am going to do this course as well.

One quick question, how did you travel to edingbugh?

I am thinking of taking the car and dumping the bike in the back or did you take your bike on the train? or did you cycle there and back:biggrin:

Cheers

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mcb2080 said:
Hi magnatom, looking forward to having a read of your blog as I think that I am going to do this course as well.

One quick question, how did you travel to edingbugh?

I am thinking of taking the car and dumping the bike in the back or did you take your bike on the train? or did you cycle there and back:biggrin:

Cheers

We have quite a big car so the bike could fit in the car quite easily. I'd have had to set off very early to get their at 10am!

You have to pay for parking nearby, but someone local might be able to advise on local free parking (if it exists).

mcb2080

magnatom said:
We have quite a big car so the bike could fit in the car quite easily. I'd have had to set off very early to get their at 10am!

You have to pay for parking nearby, but someone local might be able to advise on local free parking (if it exists).

LOL, that's what I thought.

Excellent, awaiting your blog..........:thumbsdown:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

:biggrin:

No, I didn't learn that much. But what it has done is remove some of the mysticism of the bike and its components. For example I am now happy to take the brakes off, de-muck them (and there was a fair amount of muck in there) and put them back on. I'd have been worried before about mucking things up.

The teacher (is that the right word?) also talked quite a bit about cables etc. I don't think I realised how important the covers were to the whole system. Very interesting (oh no, I'm beginning to sound like a nerd!!:thumbsdown:)

mcb2080

Ps, once last question.

I have disc brakes as well as a shimano alfine gear hub, would these components be covered or is it standard brakes and gearing systems.

Cheers

Glad you made it this time :thumbsdown:. Yeah workstands make thing a whole lot easier, the only problem with mine its in the folks garage and its a 33 mile round trip. The right tools also help I've got a Lifeline tool kit and its left at my parent and a cheap Lidl one too tell the truth the Lidl one has been better for me but it looks like the Lifeline kit has been improved since i bought it. Both have been supplementted by other tools when I've needed. I liked the tricross too, it seems to tick the right box for versatality unfortunately the CoOp aren't in my works cyclesheme and the nearest spesh dealer is in Fife.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mcb2080,

Yes they will try to cover whatever you have. There was a couple of disc brake bikes, one cable, one hydraulic. Both guys got to work on them and we all had a look at them. We all got to tinker a bit on each others bikes (under supervision of course!) which was good. One chap cleaned out one of my brakes for me! :thumbsdown: I think being on a course like this with like minded people was great.

HLaB,

I don't think I'll need a whole set to start with, so I might just start with a few tools. That way I should be able to buy a decent set over time and spread the costs. I shouldn't need a BB tool for a while (I hope!)

mcb2080

magnatom said:
mcb2080,

Yes they will try to cover whatever you have. There was a couple of disc brake bikes, one cable, one hydraulic. Both guys got to work on them and we all had a look at them. We all got to tinker a bit on each others bikes (under supervision of course!) which was good. One chap cleaned out one of my brakes for me! :thumbsdown: I think being on a course like this with like minded people was great.

HLaB,

I don't think I'll need a whole set to start with, so I might just start with a few tools. That way I should be able to buy a decent set over time and spread the costs. I shouldn't need a BB tool for a while (I hope!)

Excellent, I will tell the wife that this course is part of my Christmas:smile:

Cheers

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User76 said:
I'm looking forward to lots of headcam footage of Magnatom fettling with his bike "Here I am adjusting the brakes" :eek:

He could be the new Sheldon for the 21st century:o)

Now there is a man to live up to! :wacko:

Anyway it's already been done. I've got to come up with something new now....:sad:

Hugo15

Über Member
Magnatom - keep an eye on the EBC website for their next sale. They usually have their revolution workstand reduced down to £50. I bagged one after attending the EBC course in Newcastle. Definitely worth the money.

Mr Pig

magnatom said:
I don't think I'll need a whole set to start with, so I might just start with a few tools.

No, just buy a set. It works out so much cheaper. The quality is a bit lower than buying individual tools but to be honest not by that much. Certainly for occasional use they'll be fine.

As you go along you might find that some of the tools aren't up to it and you can replace those with quality items, from the likes of 'Park Tools', but many tools in the kit will last a lifetime. For instance the chain-whip, bottom bracket and cassette tools are almost as good as Shimano ones.

The LIDL set cost £20 but you can buy the same set under a different brand name for £30, which is still great value.

marooncat

I did a course at the Edinburgh shop earlier in the year and much as I did get a bit out of it I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with it. However I think alot of that was before then I had not done much, if anything, on my bike more than throw a bucket of water over it, so some of the stuff we covered I had not even heard of so was a totally new concept to me so some of it went over my head. Also we had one person on the course who was a right "look at me" and seemed to take up most of the instructors time asking questions not really relevant to what we were doing and made me feel a bit silly for my simple beginner questions.

Having said that, I would recommend it to anyone, but suggest that have a bit more background knowledge than I did at the time.

What I did was I put my bike in the car and parked up about three miles away from the shop and cycled down the canal tow path to get there (I have an allergy to paying for parking ;)!)

After the course I got my new bike from them (having discovered just how much needed replaced on my old faithful £100 Halfords machine - starting with the rims which needed replaced there and then - the instructor almost did not want me to cycle back to my car on them!!). I am needing to take it back in next week for its "after service" check.

Bugner

Magnatom,

I have the Specialized Tricross. Excellent bike for commuting, faster than a mountain bike, tougher than a road bike. If required it can take mudguard and a pannier rack. I got mine through the ride to work scheme so cost me just uder £400

Top Bottom