Bike on a Plane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am aware that there has been extensive material on this subject but thought I will share my experience.

Decided to head to OZ for a few weeks and bring the bike along. Did my research on various forums and did the following.

1.Down to Evans and got myself a used bike box. The guy there was helpful and and even threw in the foam as well as the bits that protect the fork end as well as the casette hub from ripping the box. No charge.

2. Checked with the airlines and found out that BA and Qantas does not charge extra as long as they do not exceed the international baggage limit of 32 Kg. Some airlines do charge extra for bikes.

3. Both BA and Qantas require the bike to be put in a box with size limits. The front wheel has to be taken out, as well as the pedals and the tyres deflated. Box can also be purchased from Excess Baggage Company at the terminal.

4. Checked out couple of videos on youtube on packing a bike for a flight. Really good stuff and pretty much standard.

5. Reached Heathrow and checked-in. No issues what so ever. They did not open the box and placed a first class label on it.

6. Reached Melbourne and picked up the bike box at the oversized baggage point. Noticed a hole where the wheel hub is and seem to suggest that they stacked other baggage on top of it.

7. Going thru customs was a bit of a pain as the guide channels were narrow and the box on the trolley could not go thru. Placed the box on the floor and dragged it. Customs opened the box and checked the tyres for soil and dirt. They regulary fine folks for bringing in soil on golf shoes and bikes tyres. Passed the test. They helped seal the box again.

8. Checked in for a domestic flight and found out the baggage limit dropped to 23kg but still made it.

9. Reached final destination and ripped open the box with apprehension. Everything was fine. Not a dent.

Now for a bit of holiday on wheels.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yay!!! I've flown with a bike a few times, with no major hassle thus far.
Bugger, I've jinxed it now...

Blue

Legendary Member
Glad to read your tale as I am planning to take one of my bikes on a plane and I'm a bit apprehensive about it.

Enjoy your cycling in Oz - keep a sharp eye on the car drivers as I have read that cyclists are a game-sport animal over there. :laugh:

It was cheaper for me to fly bikeless to Sydney two years ago and buy a new bike for a two-month tour than take my bike with me and pay the excess backage charges.

It's still there in Melbourne, at a mate's in Eltham.

Any excuse for a n+1.

7. Going thru customs was a bit of a pain as the guide channels were narrow and the box on the trolley could not go thru. Placed the box on the floor and dragged it. Customs opened the box and checked the tyres for soil and dirt. They regulary fine folks for bringing in soil on golf shoes and bikes tyres.

Worse than that, they have to clean/irradiate them, which would cost you money, possibly damage your bike and leave it stuck at Melbourne Airport.

Enjoy your cycling in Oz - keep a sharp eye on the car drivers as I have read that cyclists are a game-sport animal over there. :laugh:

That's the impression you get, but it's not true. I took my bike to Melbourne, and my parents were warning me how dangerous the roads were and aggressive the drivers are. It could not be further from the truth. Excellent cycle facilities, courteous drivers. I was treated with respect the whole time I was there (eg. If I was approaching a side street, and car appeared, wanting to turn left and join the road I was on, every time they waited until I had passed. It was unbelievable after London. )

Part of the problem is that newspapers in Australia report all road fatalities (and many serious crashes) so it can look very dangerous to readers.

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for cleaning the bike within an inch of its life (NZ as well as Australia). When I went to NZ I told them I had pressure washed it with detergent (true) and they did not open the box

Worse than that, they have to clean/irradiate them, which would cost you money, possibly damage your bike and leave it stuck at Melbourne Airport.

That's the impression you get, but it's not true. I took my bike to Melbourne, and my parents were warning me how dangerous the roads were and aggressive the drivers are. It could not be further from the truth. Excellent cycle facilities, courteous drivers. I was treated with respect the whole time I was there (eg. If I was approaching a side street, and car appeared, wanting to turn left and join the road I was on, every time they waited until I had passed. It was unbelievable after London. )

Part of the problem is that newspapers in Australia report all road fatalities (and many serious crashes) so it can look very dangerous to readers.

I'd agree its not as bad as you might think. I did a little cycling on the Gold Coast in '10, not my own bike - a rented cruiser - and even when cyclcing in a pair of thongs I got no problems;)

Jezston

Über Member
Well done!

A friend of mine went to do a big epic charity ride in Africa, months of planning, thousands sponsored etc etc. Bought a fancy case for her nice Condor tourer etc.

While she was sat on the plane, she noticed she could see the guys loading (or was it unloading? can't quite remember the story) the luggage on. Oh look there's my bike box! Hello bike box! BONK as the baggage handler throws it on to the tarmac from some height.

Fork broken.

And that was the end of her tour.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Yeah, heard couple of online stories on bent or damaged stuff and placed bubble wrap and foam on the vulnerable sticking ends. The box was not sweet looking at the end of it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We took our bikes to Pisa from Hamburg with Ryanair. We did not box or bag them. Took the pedals off and turned the handlebars, job done. They came off at Pisa first. Totally damage free, they may have even polished mine.:rolleyes:

Same procedure on the way home. Good job Ryanair. Except they now charge €50 each way for a bike.

Steve

Top Bottom