Bike Performance ( New to this!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigguy

Here's the scenario!... I'm now tied down (standing on one spot) at a machine for 12hrs a day at my work.... My legs are beginning to suffer as a result of this
I have decided to seriously take up cycling to try and excercise my legs a bit. I have owned a Concept mountain bike for years and used it to go for short rides with the kids, but alas it is getting the worse for the wear.... So one day on impulse I purchased a Claude Butler Legend hybrid bike with 700x28 citybird tyres, (using the cycle to work scheme). Its actually a very comfortable bike, albeit very high to sit on.

The question..... Is this bike any good for doing serious miles on? Or ( as my workmates seem to be telling me now) should I have bought a more road / touring orientated bike?
I sort of feel Ive bought the wrong bike now:sad:... any comments

Tynan

Veteran
don't know the bike but a good hybrid set up right and with the right gear is perfectly fine

if you want to do serious miles and ride faster a road bike is better

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If it's a very comfortable bike, then there is no reason why you can't do serious miles on it.

I do all my commuting and touring on a hybrid. And I average nearly 200 miles a week.

You say the bike is very high to sit on.
Is the saddle set at the correct hight in relation to your inside leg length?

yenrod

legend.jpg

Big' what you could do is buy a lower/longer/straighter stem this will reduce the height !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't know about the bike, but I had a factory job for 5 years which also involved standing in one spot for long periods of time. I was only in my mid-twenties but I started to develop varicose veins in my legs so I think you are right to be concerned. It might be worth looking into wearing support stockings if you start to suffer from the same problem. My veins never got better, but once I gave up that job, they didn't really get much worse.

OP
OP
B

bigguy

yep yenrod my saddle is at the right height, the bars are far higher than my mountain bike though, which are about level with the saddle, i have discovered that the bars can be lowered... so I might experiment with that. I hope to commute to my work on it soon.. about a 20 mile round trip.
You are right ColinJ.. the work is killing my legs.. I am developing varicose veins!!!! also I have been at that job for 20 years now, only recently changing over onto 12hr shifts... which is bloody worse still!!!!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi bigguy

Looks a good commuter bike. What do you call "Serious" mileage? The Dutch go everywhere on similar (and often heavier) bikes than that and have noproblem covering big distances. The major issue is how fast do you want to go? Such bikes are not designed for speed, the major issue being aerodynamics (of the rider, not the bike). Such bikes are a bit "Sit-up-and-beg" which whilst comfortable are hard-work to ride fast. Touring bikes, race-bilkes and sprtier hybrids are all designed with going fast on Tarmac, and hence covering distance at speed is relatively easier.
Give the CB a go, lower the bars and get-out and have a go. You might be surprised how far you get!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Fab Foodie said:
The Dutch go everywhere on similar (and often heavier) bikes than that and have noproblem covering big distances. The major issue is how fast do you want to go? Such bikes are not designed for speed, the major issue being aerodynamics (of the rider, not the bike).

Holland will be flatter than Antrim, depending where bigguy is based :wacko:, but you may as well start on this one and then contemplate what your next purchase will be.

Slim

Über Member
Another, relatively minor, point to consider is to swap the tyres over to 700x23s (keep the 28s for winter use). I've done the same on my hybrid and the bike definitely feels nippier - less effort, more speed.

HTH

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow Slim,
that's an old badge that bought back memories.
I lived in Wimbledon as a kiddy, and my very first game of Football was watching the Dons at Plough Lane when they were in the Southern league.

Slim

Über Member
ianrauk said:
Wow Slim,
that's an old badge that bought back memories.
I lived in Wimbledon as a kiddy, and my very first game of Football was watching the Dons at Plough Lane when they were in the Southern league.

New badge if you don't mind - AFC Wimbledon :smile:

If you get down this way, we're over at Kingston and doing the journey over again (just got promoted to the conference). Just as well as I missed it the first time around.

OP
OP
B

bigguy

Thanks guys for all the advice... Ive been taking short trips, getting increasingly longer, basically building myself up to the 10 mile mark when I can ride it to work. Ive had one problem though... a flat tyre!.. caused by faulty rim tape!, theres a series of holes round the inner rim where the spokes are fitted, one of these tore a hole in the tube... luckily I was only a mile from home when it happened.
I repaired it with a few layers of insulating tape and a new tube.... I know its a bit soon to be doing this kind of thing with a new bike! but needs be....

Tynan

Veteran
I had that once with a new bike and it took me ages to realise, I got good at punctures though

fix one under your belt, good man!

Top Bottom