Bike Plumbing....

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Trumpettom001, 3 May 2010.

1. Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001 Well-Known Member

Soo, after 2000 miles of devoted service, I've noticed that if I turn my bike upside down for whatever reason and press the (front only atm) brake lever, that I seem to be able to get the lever to touch the handlebars, whilst still being able to rotate the front wheel with relative ease.... do I just need to refill the resivoir?

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I wouldn't tip the bike upside down with any hydro system.............. and 'test' it....

3. OP
    OP
    Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001 Well-Known Member

I was setting up gears... and wanted somthing other than fingers to stop the wheel with.... the brakes seemed ideal!!! But seriously - are they not designed to be inverted? they can withstand a couple kN of force to stop speeding rider, but they can't go upside down? seems a little odd to me...

4. Norm

Norm Guest

There should be an adjuster on the back of the caliper, probably a screw or hex thingy. The pads wear over time and you need to push them in closer to the disks.

I had to do mine after only 500 miles, I think you are very lucky not to have found a wayward tree if this is the first adjustment in 2000 miles and the lever comes back to the bar without stopping the front wheel firmly.

Upside down should be ok as long as the reservoir cap is tight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice