Bike Polite!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.politecycling.info/code.html

this was mentioned in the (Glasgow) southside Extra. Snap-bands are being given out an there may be some other things planned (click on the Glasgow tab for more details).

For those that don't live in Glasgow, anything of interest will be filmed by Magnatom and then be posted on YouTube shortly thereafter ;)

This might tie in with some other topics under discussion, but just felt like starting a new thread.

BTW, has anyone tried the metalled cycle track circuit at Bellahouston?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Stig-OT-Dump said:
http://www.politecycling.info/code.html

this was mentioned in the (Glasgow) southside Extra. Snap-bands are being given out an there may be some other things planned (click on the Glasgow tab for more details).

For those that don't live in Glasgow, anything of interest will be filmed by Magnatom and then be posted on YouTube shortly thereafter ;)

This might tie in with some other topics under discussion, but just felt like starting a new thread.

BTW, has anyone tried the metalled cycle track circuit at Bellahouston?

I wouldn't bank on that - we're still waiting on the official film of Pedal For Scotland from Studio Magnatom, and that was back in September. I think there's a technician's strike going on there or something... :becool:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think very much of the advice to ring your bell or say excuse me to pedestrians. Most will take that negatively, IMO. Far better to call out a cheery "Morning".

I suppose "Get out of my way you f'ing moron" would not be approved?

I have no problem with "excuse me". I do not hold with the theory that it suggests you have done something wrong are are in the wrong.

PBancroft

BentMikey said:
I don't think very much of the advice to ring your bell or say excuse me to pedestrians. Most will take that negatively, IMO. Far better to call out a cheery "Morning".

I think if there is enough space between you and the pedestian, most will appreciate the forewarning. Dinging your bell directly behind someone is a bit intrusive.

Slowing down and ringing it about twenty feet away is less so.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sure, but even with good intentions it's my experience that many walkers take it as "get out my f...ing way daffodil!". Hence the cheery "morning", which seems to work much better.

wafflycat

In my experience, a bell is entirely useless. There's one on my 'bent and it is ignored. On the lanes round me there's no footpaths, so that in order to walk anywhere, this involves walking on the road. Hence my sometime interactions with pedestrians. I find a cheery, "cyclist behind" or whatever similar is appropriate, followed by a cheery "thank you" as I pass is much better. I recall an occasion I was ringing the bell on my 'bent for some time before reaching a pedestrian, and as I passed I did so slowly and giving room. Said pedestrian was oblivious to my presence and angrily shouting about using a bell... I politely pointed out that I had been.. but it was ignored for whatever reason...

Haitch

Flim Flormally
wafflycat said:
I recall an occasion I was ringing the bell on my 'bent for some time before reaching a pedestrian, and as I passed I did so slowly and giving room. Said pedestrian was oblivious to my presence and angrily shouting about using a bell... I politely pointed out that I had been.. but it was ignored for whatever reason...

I had a similar experience with a group of people ambling along the road. Slowed down, rang my bell for ages until finally, about five feet away from them, I shouted out "Good morning!" One of them turned round and said, "Why don't you get a bell?" "Why don't you get a chuffing hearing aid?" I thought.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
BentMikey said:

+1. I call it the 'f&*k-off' bell, because that's the response I usually get to ringing it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
One ped complained about me not having a bell when I gave him an "Evening" whilst I waited behind him on a cycle path. He sure jumped when I pressed the airzound. "Like that for a bell mate?"

Twiggy

I tend to find this sort of advice agravating.
Mostly because it is just regurgitating the laws you must obey anyway, without adding any substance.

BentMikey said:
One ped complained about me not having a bell when I gave him an "Evening" whilst I waited behind him on a cycle path. He sure jumped when I pressed the airzound. "Like that for a bell mate?"

AH.... the sight of someone dancing the "Funky Pedestrian"

I tend to use bell, bell and excuse me, loud bell and excuse me, gentle air zound and then fair game - the full air zound.

Maz

Guru
I thought from the title, this thread had something to do with my hi-viz!

I've never had a problem with saying "'scuse me please" if I need to get past some peds. I normally back it up with a "cheers" as I go past them.

Top Bottom