Bike security while camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pdiaz

Hi there!

I'm planning a trip to Morocco this Christmas. The plan would be to camp while in the middle of nowhere and use cheap lodging while in the cities.

I was wondering if you guys use any kind of security system for securing your bikes at night while camping. I've seen this bike alarm thingie (http://www.bikemag.com/gear/112205_alarm/) that could be of use, but I don't know really if there are other methods to secure the bikes.

Also, does anyone know what is the camping situation in Morocco?

Cheers!

Bigtallfatbloke

I tie my bike to my trangia cookset inside my tent...if the bike moves all hell breaks loose next to my head. The bike is also locked to a fixed item with two combination locks with different combinations. One goes through both wheels and th e frame, the other through the saddle rear wheel and frame...both go around a pole or fence etc . Another trick is to run your tents guyline through the wheel/frame.

Never leave your bags on it overnight, and pitch your tent as close to it as possible.

friedel

We've got some info on camping in Morocco and other stuff on our site:

http://travellingtwo.com/resources/morocco

In general, there are a lot of campers and RVs that go to Morocco so there are plenty of sites but on a bike you'll have to free camp now and then and you may like to do it more often than you need to. We never had any problems. You can always ask a hotel if you can camp in their yard for something less than the room fee. Bargain, bargain, bargain at the campsites. You may not always get the price down but often you will and often they start high with the RV price but if you explain you don't want electricity, don't take much space and so on then you should get a reduction.

If you are uncertain about where to camp or don't feel secure, ask any family if you can camp on their land. Chances are they will invite you in for the evening. Tea and sugar from any local store makes a nice thank you gift in this scenario.

friedel

Ah, security. We have the Timani alarm but our first one went, maybe because some water got in it or something. They did send us a replacement and so far so good. A good lock and attaching the bike and tent in some way is probably your best bet. I think it's a reasonably minimal risk.

friedel

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Buy a bigger tent and take your baby in with you! Easy. :becool:;)

Not worth it. Bigger tent = more weight = more expense = harder to hide when free camping and after all, if someone really wants to rob you they can just slash the tent open anyway. All of the campgrounds in Morocco have security guards so really, with a lock and the bike secured next to your tent, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bodhbh

Guru
So far just been sticking a cable lock thru a wheel, leaving the panniers on it, then throwing a tarp over it and pegging it down. Hopefully the wieght and inconvienence is enough to put opportunists in camping spots off, but one of those alarm locks sounds a good idea.

OP
OP
P

pdiaz

Hey thanks for the replies, lots of good ideas. Unfortunately I don't think we can fit two bikes in our tent, so we'll probably tie them to the tent in some way and think about the alarm thing.

Also friedel thanks for the link, lot's of info in your web

Cheers

friedel

pdiaz said:
Hey thanks for the replies, lots of good ideas. Unfortunately I don't think we can fit two bikes in our tent, so we'll probably tie them to the tent in some way and think about the alarm thing.

Also friedel thanks for the link, lot's of info in your web

Cheers

No problem. If we can help in any way just let us know. One of the best rides I think is between Tata to Souk Tleta de Tagmoute and Ighrem then on to Tafraoute. Hard work but very, very beautiful and rural. Lots of wild camping and also campsites in Tata, Souk Tleta and Tafraoute but you'll have to free camp inbetween and it's gorgeous. I think that would be my top ride to recommend! Other bonus of this route is that there aren't many kids who have yet learnt the culture of tourist=money=beg for pens, sweets etc. There's a bit of that but not as endemic as around Merzouga, for example.

Dog Anchor!

Or two........

3908_P28855_323539.jpg

Get one that is welded closed, and then screw into ground and padlock bottom bracket to it.

To remove requires either digging or rotating the bike a dozen times - and that is going to look suspicious.

If you carry two then this will prevent any rotation.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi

Our solution to touring bike security (and weather protection) is as follows

1 x 2m Kyriptonite cable
1 x micro D lock
1 x dog lead corkscrew (about £4 in any pet shop or camping shop)

We then stand the bikes up on their stands, side by side facing opposite directions, with the dog corkscrew screwed into the ground between them, and the cable through both bikes and the corkscrew and put the bike pyjamas over them, from a distance it looks like a small hike tent

Bike PJ's are made from heavy duty white woven platic that makes a lot of noise if removed, they can be pegged to the ground like a tent. There is no way anyone is going to move that lot without making a lot of noise and taking a lot of time (and a pair of bolt cutters)

Weight of the entire set up is probably about 1-2KG

We also have a combination cable lock each for 'pub stop' security

We have also found the bike PJ's make an excelent 2 person emergency shelter when caught in the middle of an Irish moor in a deluge.

Top Bottom