1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Security

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by fossyant, 18 Apr 2008.

1. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

How's this for bike security - both extremes here !!!!

DSC00070.jpg

The Spesh Hard Rock is locked by a combi lock to a cable that's about twice as thick as my gear cable. That other great big thing is one half of my bike security - that's the 10lb chain, the d-lock is out of sight....

I'm surprised it was still there !!!!

2. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Some weight in that lot!

(Love the paint job on the bike in the middle... Oversize tubing, perchance? :angry: )

3. fossyant

Called "Gas Pipe" - special aged process - called Rust !!!

We don't have any shiney sheffield stands - these have been here since the dawn of time I think ! - The building is 200 years old......

4. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

We don't have any stands at all - I keep saying I'm going to stand my bike by the radiator in the office.

Is security much of a problem where you are?

5. fossyant

Well, it's a University Campus, very public, but it's not city centre - we've got about 20 stands for a campus that can have 3000 students in it - normally only a few hundred at a time as they are out an placement. As a member of staff I get to be in early, out late, and I leave the big heavy lock on the stand all the time....

We are getting proper locked and covered shelters soon, that will save me carrying a bike cover every day....

6. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

:angry:

7. fossyant

And may be showers, or the sports centre opening earlier than 10 am !!!

8. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Sniff... sob... gulp...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:angry::biggrin::biggrin:

9. fossyant

Yup...

They have a green travel policy - charging staff to park - why not - £30 per month about (city centre manchester) and the funds will be going to those of us who cycle in. YES !!!!! -Part of the reason I moved jobs 7 months ago.... back into cycle commuting, me get's fit, and get good facilities (eventually) !!!

I've not used the car for traveling to work other than one visit to a site 40 miles away - that's in the last 7 months, then drove back home and cycled 8 miles in....

10. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

That's so enlightened. I wish it was so round here - and I live in a cycling demonstration city! I'm doing my bit city fathers - I haven't used my car for work for 5 years now!