Bike Serial numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Apparently "each bike has its own serial number which is stamped on the frame underneath the pedals."

This serial number makes jobs for the police far easier, and I was unaware of this until contacted by the police regarding my stolen bike.

Worth taking a note of :biggrin: sorry if everybody knows this!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They do indeed, often referred to as the frame number.

If you record this on the Immobilise database, the police can check the frame numbers of recovered bikes, or bikes identified as suspicious during patrols. My local force also recommends marking with your postcode using a UV pen.

grhm

Veteran
Frame numbers are usually on the frame under the the bottom backet - but not always. e.g. my old pashley trike has a number number stamped into the top of the seat post on the clamp bit.

Anyone know if manufacturers decided to standardise on putting frame numbers by the the bottom bracket at some point? (and prehaps my trike predates that) - or do some manufacturers just do there own thing?

foolsgold

my frame number is under the pedals also, but it looks like it is just a white sticker. surely that can be taken off very easy?? i thought the serial number would have been a metal plate like a car etc. anyone help?? thanks.

Glos police do a registration system for cyclists with post code stamping or manufacturers frame stamp recording on their database so if it does get nicked, and turns up, they can trace it immediately back to you. I registered mine last summer when they did a frame stamping day in the town centre.

http://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/Latest News/Press Releases/2009/February/item11001.html

From West Yorks police dept

• Always lock them whenever you leave them, even if you just going to be a few moments.
  • Mark the frame with your postcode. This will help us to get it back to you if we find it - we have thousands of unclaimed unidentified bicycles.
  • Get your bike frame marked with your postcode and stick on a 'Coded Cycle' sticker to let thieves know.
  • Get a 'recorded cycle' form from your local police station or bicycle dealer and take a photograph.
  • Record all your bike's details so that if your bike is stolen and then recovered, we will be able to match it to the description.
  • The best kind of bicycle locks are made of a loop of solid metal. Chains deter casual thieves but can be easily cut with the right equipment.
  • Always lock your bike to something solid like a lamp-post or railings. If you have a quick release wheels, take off the front wheel and lock it to the frame and back wheel. An increasing number of bus and railway stations in West Yorkshire have secure "sheds" where you can lock your cycle, safe from crime...and the weather!

Check with your local force website for frame stamping days

02GF74

Über Member
most i've seen have number stamped on the bottom bracket; sometimes it is obscured by the gear cable guides, grrr....

one of my more recent purchases has a barcode sticker type thing. (gary fisher I think).

02GF74 said:
most i've seen have number stamped on the bottom bracket; sometimes it is obscured by the gear cable guides, grrr....

one of my more recent purchases has a barcode sticker type thing. (gary fisher I think).

This is no bad thing IMO

Thieves are lazy creatures by nature and it is unlikely they will be arsed to strip the bike down to deface these markings.

chrisuren

Mine is also under my pedals, and it's my postcode.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
West Mids Police have open days where you can get your bike chemically etched with a number that is entered onto a national register. It's like window etching on a car. It's no good if the theives have a sandblaster though as this removes the paint and the number.

foolsgold

I went to my local police station and they put a chemical/acid number on my bike. Must be the same thing as you got. They take a note of your frame number too and it is all registered. I have got an immobi tag also and registered online with immoilise.com. Police guy says to attach a rape alarm with some fish wire also, so if anyone takes your bike the pin will pull and set off a nice noise! Also a shed/garage alarm is good, i got a wireless one for £15.

CandiceT

I think that although you can register your frame number, it's better to put your faith into a very good lock. I'm not sure how often police actually check the frame numbers of bikes brought it.

Otherwise, I would recommend checking the frame number of any second hand bike you're thinking of buying.

Candice Terblanche Attorney

Zanshin

How does one check out a frame number before buying a second hand bike. Does immobilise.com allow you to search registered items?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Zanshin - very good question. I hope it will be answered on here, but if not you could ask the police....they should know

Top Bottom