Bike shoes and Clip on pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingSAM

Getting bike serviced sometime this week at Halfords and do you think if i brought clip on pedals would they put them on the bike, when being serviced?

Im also looking to buy some more Bike shoes, the ones i have now arn't clip on.

Would it be best to buy shoes first, and see if fit the clip on pedals or get the pedals done, and see what shoes work well with the pedals?

Also what sort of bike socks should i get to keep my feet protected do they come with the shoes? Any ideas?

Also how much do you think it would be to get a derailluer adjusted and my gears, my gears somehow wont go on 4,5,6 and 7, the gear turns on to 6, i try turn it, and it just cant get into 7 it seems like it jamed.

Young Un

I really wouldn't advise getting your bike serviced at Halfrauds. Take it into a Local Bike Shop, and build a relationship with them, and then whenever it breaks you can just pop in and they will fix it for you no problem.

I would of thought a complete gear set-up would be a round 14 squids?

Young Un

I'm not quite sure why you said that but anyway, by 14 squids I meant £14.

If you have MSN and want to talk about cycling just ask and I will give you my addy.:blush:

gavintc

Guru
I presume you live in Broadstairs. A quick google of Broadstairs and bike shops brings up a wide range. Do not go to Halfords, find a small shop with an owner / mechanic. Talk through what you want and you will get advice and help well beyond the value of the stuff you are buying.

Most road pedal systems are good and successful. Choose the one that you like the look of / price. Essentially, you really need to choose between SPD (that you walk in) and the pure road systems eg; SPD SL and Look. Once you have made this decision, get the shoes to match and the pedals.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
I'm not quite sure why you said that but anyway, by 14 squids I meant £14.

If you have MSN and want to talk about cycling just ask and I will give you my addy.:biggrin:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Young romance forming.

My advice.
Dont get Halfords to service your bike.
Get SPD-SL pedals. Fit them yourself, its not hard to do.
Get whatever shoes you can afford, if you got for SPD-SL then get ones with 3 holes in the bottom in a triangle shape.

Sorted

Cubist

Still wavin'
CyclingSam

You've tried to be specific and I think Young 'un missed the point. You say you have a 21 speed bike (nothing to do with seafood Young 'un!) and by the sound of it it's a twistgrip shifting system? Joe has suggested you get SPD -L pedals, but before you do, can I ask a question? What sort of bike have you got? I hate to say it, but if, as I suspect, it's a Halfords MTB, then I'm not sure SPD-Ls are what you need.

Can I ask then what sort of bike you have, what sort of cycling you do, or want to get into? That will determine the best way to get more out of your bike. It may be that the gears only need adjusting and the cables lubing, in which case, yes, take it to your Local Bike Shop. Don't rush into the pedals thing until you're certain of what system you need.

montage

God Almighty
Cubist said:
CyclingSam

You've tried to be specific and I think Young 'un missed the point. You say you have a 21 speed bike (nothing to do with seafood Young 'un!) and by the sound of it it's a twistgrip shifting system? Joe has suggested you get SPD -L pedals, but before you do, can I ask a question? What sort of bike have you got? I hate to say it, but if, as I suspect, it's a Halfords MTB, then I'm not sure SPD-Ls are what you need.

Can I ask then what sort of bike you have, what sort of cycling you do, or want to get into? That will determine the best way to get more out of your bike. It may be that the gears only need adjusting and the cables lubing, in which case, yes, take it to your Local Bike Shop. Don't rush into the pedals thing until you're certain of what system you need.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32066
Common Cubist!

Sam, for what you want to do and acheive, SPD SL will be your best bet, or something similar (LOOK do very similar pedals)

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

I have a road bike, i want to get into clubs etc, so them sort of pedals.

Im confused with SPD SL and others what there meanings and what do they look like?

Do i get my shoes first, then see what sort of pedals to get?

What pedals would be good to go with my road bike?

Seen in this topic.
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32066

Joe24

I already knew he had a road bike.

SPD-SL is this: (Look pedals look very similar)
1145957.jpg

That shows the cleat aswell. See the 3 bolt holes? On the bottom of shoes, you will see the same 3 bolt pattern, its these shoes you want. These pedals are designed just for road pretty much.
Look Pedals
look-keo-classic-pedal-31823.jpg

Same 3 bolt holes as the Shimano, but the pedals are slightly different. I broke 2 sets of Look Keos so i dont touch them.

SPD is this:
705310_9996Lrg.jpg

You can clip in either side(if you ride on the road you dont really need to have the option to clip in either side) and the cleats can be recessed into the shoe so you can still walk with them. These have 2 bolts, so the shoes for these have 2 bolt holes in the bottom of them.

For road, i would say SPD-SL, Shimano make these. They are a nice pedal, better then Looks i think.

Hopefully this has helped you abit.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Ok so will look for some SPD - SL after the shoes i get, Do you know a price that they would come to?

Im looking to spend £150 on a computer that tells my max speed, caliories i burn, and other stuff, Bike socks to go with my shoes.

And how much would it cost for the derailluer to be adjusted and the gears?

Joe24

CyclingSAM said:
Ok so will look for some SPD - SL after the shoes i get, Do you know a price that they would come to?

Im looking to spend £150 on a computer that tells my max speed, caliories i burn, and other stuff, Bike socks to go with my shoes.

And how much would it cost for the derailluer to be adjusted and the gears?

Nothing, do it yourself, or at least have a go. Have a read on the internet then have a play.
As for the computer, are you really going to spent £150 on it? If you are, dont bother. You can get ones much cheaper, most of the stuff you dont really need.
Shoes will be anything you want to pay, £30 upwards. Dont go too expensive, your still growing so wont be worth spending a lot on them.
Pedals, they are pretty cheap, £40 upwards i think for SPD-SL?
Have a look on Evans cycles.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Socks im guessing £10 - 15?

Ive had numbers of goes, and ive messed my gears up, some how it wont change gears in the chain, and some get stuck when turning the gear. Im getting it serviced tommorrow.

Joe24

CyclingSAM said:
Socks im guessing £10 - 15?

Ive had numbers of goes, and ive messed my gears up, some how it wont change gears in the chain, and some get stuck when turning the gear. Im getting it serviced tommorrow.

Why do you want to pay for socks? Whats wrong with the ones you normaly wear. You dont need any over ones now, the weather is warm, they will be a waste of time.
As for the gears, put the chain in the smallest at the back, and mess with the cable adjusting turner(very technical name for it) dont mess with the screws.
If you have turned the screws, you have changed the limit of the rear mech. Which is not what you want to mess with because if it goes into top and bottom gear then thats fine.
If its skipping gears or not staying in them, its usualy the cable adjustment, and you turn the barrel thats on the mech where the cable goes in.
It really is pretty simple, you just have to get your head around it, and what everything does.

Top Bottom