Bike Shop Staff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My LBS is great, it's a small shop run by a husband & wife team and the advice i get from them is brilliant but i happened to be close to one of the biggest dedicated cycling shops in Devon last week so i thought i'd pop in and have a nosey and within minutes of walking in the door i was pounced upon (not literally) by a saleman ... the following converation went something like this

Salesman ... morning sir can i help you ?
Me ... no thanks im just browsing
Salesman ... Anything imparticular ?
Me ... Touring Bikes
Salesman ... ah your in the wrong section for tourers
Me .. But theirs a Dawes Galaxy
Saleman ... but thats a serious touring bike sort of an end to end bike
Me .. dont i look like a LeJog type person then ?
Saleman ... stupid grin and points to the other side of the shop ... have a look over there sir

so i wander over to where he pointed (closely followed) only to find a Dawes Dicovery 201 for £200 ? which he then went on to tell me that the Discovery would be ideal for my needs (not that i'd told him my needs) niether had he asked ? at this point i left the shop

I got talking to a guy in the car park who told me that they get a set commision on sales whether it's a £1000 bike or a £200 bike and the salesman would have more chance of me buying the £200 bike there and then so would make his commision

And these people are supposed to be dedicated cyclist's ?

Simon

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Now I'm a big fan of Dawes Discovery 201s but that's shocking service!!!

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Cathryn said:
Now I'm a big fan of Dawes Discovery 201s but that's shocking service!!!

I was'nt slating the Discovery but their is a world of difference between that and a Galaxy

But the Discovery did look like a nice bike for day rides etc etc

Simon

MarkF

Guru
I agree, damn good bikes, a 201 got me cycling again:smile:

Hhmm, the sales assistant, can you blame him? Maybe he's on the minimum wage and needing commision to earn a decent wage, what's his goal, seeing you satisfied or paying his bills?;)

I would imagine a "big" cycle shop has a completely different raison d'être than your LBS, at least you won't be going back.:smile:

Deefex

I've had pretty poor experiences with the Edinburgh Bike Co-op where some of there staff don't have a scooby doo what they're talking about.

My first encounter was with one bloke who claimed that I wouldn't be able to use some Shimano SPD shoes with some Shimano SPD M424 pedals. Why? because the recess on the shoe "looked a little deep".

After I had bought one of the Rev Country tourers they had stuck 700 x 32 tyres on them. I asked to be changed to 700 x 38 as that's what was on the spec (and that's what I wanted). When I came back the next day they had stuck on 700 x 35 tyres. Groan.... I offered to change them myself to prevent any further delay.

Then I was asking about v brakes with drop levers - oh lordy. One bloke said no way. Another said all v brakes are compatible. Another said only "mini v brakes" are good with drop levers.

Not impressed thus far...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It makes you value your LBS. I hope you do your bit to keep them going - not buying all your stuff by interweb and that. It's a big arse when you can't find a decent LBS any more. Apart from being accosted by salesmen on commission, I find the big cycle shops are also rubbish when you need your bike fixing - 'Sorry, we're full up till next Monday. Try again then.'

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have definately supported my LBS even when I could have had a significant reduction by buying on the internet. But I do also buy off the internet as they only have a small pokey shop so can't stock a large stock. As as result of buying our last 4 bikes from there, they often do quick fixes for me. Also a friend had to wait a long time to get her bike serviced whereas they seemed to fit me in a lot quicker. Whether it was just how busy they were as to why she had to wait or as she needed a really big service on the bike I don't know.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Deefex said:
I've had pretty poor experiences with the Edinburgh Bike Co-op where some of there staff don't have a scooby doo what they're talking about....

Not impressed thus far...

With Edinburgh Bike Co-op it really is pot luck on which staff member you get, my experience in the Edinburgh and Aberdeen branches is they are either completely hopeless or very knowable (and you never seem to them there again) which doesn't say much for their staff training and retention.

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Yellow Fang said:
It makes you value your LBS. I hope you do your bit to keep them going

My current bike came from my LBS and spookily it's in there now having Racks and mudguards put on, something i could've done myself but their policy is - "if you buy it from us we'l fit it for free" so needless to say my Next Bike will be bought from them as well

I like to pop into the bigger bike shops when im near one to use it as a showroom type thing because they stock so many different bikes and accesories where my LBS does'nt have the room so it's always nice to handle the products and then go home and order from my LBS and even if they are a pound or two dearer it's worth it for all the free advice i get all year round

The Bike shop in question is'nt one of the major chain stores but it is one of the biggest cycling shops in the East Devon Area just outside of Exeter ... those that are local will know which one it is now

Simon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
LBS Recommendation

I can not recommend Woodrups Cycles in Leeds highly enough. The shop is run by the second and third generation of the Woodrup family and it's heartening to see that it has expanded and has been revamped.

Service is unbeatable and I've been a very satisfied customer for the past five years. Customers irrespective of the purchasing aspirations or bike servicing needs are invariably treated with with courtesy and offered excellent well informed advice.

Top Bottom