Bike stand ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moss

Hi All,

Looking for a bike stand for use when cleaning the bikes! something to hold them firmly while cleaning and maintaining them? BTW Not to expensive! Mobile type - need to use it on the hard stand outside sometimes!

Thanks

M

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Edinburgh Cycle Co-op have got £40 off and free delivery.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...&f_SupersetQRY=Kstand&f_SortOrderID=-1&f_bct=

Mine should be here in an hour or two
thumbsup.png

If they're all gone I believe that Ribble sell the same stand for £52.99

al-fresco

Update - courier delivered in the correct time slot (13.15 to 14.15) and it looks a lovely piece of kit - aluminium tubes and quick release fastenings - off to have a play with it now!

Fifelad

Veteran
Update - courier delivered in the correct time slot (13.15 to 14.15) and it looks a lovely piece of kit - aluminium tubes and quick release fastenings - off to have a play with it now!

Do the fastenings have some protection for the frame ie some sort of padding ? or are they plastic? or would it be an idea to put some card between say brake cable and frame when working on it ?

al-fresco

Do the fastenings have some protection for the frame ie some sort of padding ? or are they plastic? or would it be an idea to put some card between say brake cable and frame when working on it ?

Yes the clamp looks to be plastic with rubber/neoprene type padding around the jaws. It can be rotated to hold the bike by the seat post (which is probably preferable) or by the cross tube. Both worked for me, but I was careful not to over tighten it on the cross tube.

Edit: Now it's daylight I can see that the jaws have a plastic insert.

400bhp

Guru
Yes the clamp looks to be plastic with rubber/neoprene type padding around the jaws. It can be rotated to hold the bike by the seat post (which is probably preferable) or by the cross tube. Both worked for me, but I was careful not to over tighten it on the cross tube.

I have what looks like the same one from Ribble. It wont mark your frame.

I wouldn't attach the clamp to the frame though.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

Yes, you familiarise yourself with how it operates.

Don't forget, I'm bringing one of my bikes over on Saturday, so that you can give it a full overhaul; when you've finished that, I'll be bringing the tandem round on Sunday. The following weekend, . . . . . . .

monnet

Guru

Edit: Now it's daylight I can see that the jaws have a plastic insert.

Remember that you should clamp the seatpost rather the frame.

The points on the frame where you are likely to clamp (top tube and seat tube) are going to be the weakest points of the tubing. This is probably far more relevant on higher end aluminium and steel and particularly on carbon fibre, but it's just good practice - it's no coincidence that this is how mechanics in shops mount bikes on the stands (including their own).

Top Bottom