Bike Stores (Chains not LBS) and Slapdash WorkI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(Or Slapdash Work even)

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm old fashioned in taking a pride in my work - perhaps that's an outdated concept and the in thing is just to do any old job and not bother whether it's done properly.

It's not about creeping to the boss, it's just about doing something properly and getting satisfaction from that (since wage packets often bring less satisfaction)

When I bought a Virtuoso from Halfords, I wasn't all that surprised. The chain came off in the car park...then came off at the chainset and half a mile down the road. When i got it home I set the bike up again and got it right. No way was I taking it back, especially after the rear rack they had fitted had one mounting bolt not even done up, with 2 or 3 threads showing. Why bother trying to get incompetents to put it right when it's much easier and painless to do it myself

I was disappointed tonight however.

After buying a Streetfinder from EBC a couple of weeks ago - I had thought of EBC as more of a bike shop than Halfords. As soon as I got it home I adjusted the brakes as they were, in my opinion (as a time served ex cycle technician with a partial cytech certificate - I changed trades before completing all sections) too slack. I have also toed them in to stop the awful squealing.

The gears were not quite right - nearly there - now, that's not so bad, I've done plenty of time in the lower end of bike shops too, with TY15 kit that is harder to get spot on - the higher end stuff is easier to get right - and I don't expect top performance from cheap pressed steel mechs.

What peed me off today however was, whilst re-fitting the front wheel after fixing a flat (swapping the cheap stock tyres to the narrower Conti Touring Plus in the process) I felt a little play - too much to be the brakes.

I just undid the top threadset locknut with my finger and thumb.

Now I have to wait until its light to try to find my old threadset spanner that is in a toolbox somewhere....

Not good enough. I know its a cheap bike but it still should be assembled properly. It's quite a` nice bike for a cheapie - it would be a shame for someone to be put off after buying a cheap machine to try cycling out because "bikes are crap they are always falling apart". And a shame if EBC got the same name as Halfords for poor workmanship.

Thing is...when I was in the workshop, if a bike that I sent out came back, I'd consider it a failure on my part. I tried to take as much care to get the cheapest, crappiest gears and brakes to be as good as they possibly could be. And just because a bike came part-assembled, I'd still PDI it fully.

I do know they checked the crank arm bolts though...that is evident from the lack of the dust caps where they forgot to replace them.....

Yes, I know, I feel like I am about to say "I DON'T BELIEEEVE IT!" but...well...

At least I intend to chance the setup of the bike anyway so it's not such a big deal for me....but it might be for someone who doesn't know that play in a headset is not normal - and who can't set up brakes and gears

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having been to EBC in Leeds when I was looking for a bike last year ... I walked away almost as fast as I did from Evans in Castleford. Both seemed uninterested even though I wanted to spent up to £1000.

Evans Leeds were much better - which is why I got mine from there.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i had a similar experience with evans bristol when i bought my allez a week and a bit ago! i have had to adjust the front deralier (rubbing like a B***H on the 52) index the rear mech, adjust the brakes (rear one squealing) fit the lights and accessories myself (even after ringing the store before hand and emailing them!) and adjusted the seat till it got semi comfortable (long ride home!!)

i did take it back into them after a week to get them to check over the gears but they couldnt do it that day (again after ringing them up before hand and them saying bring it down!) so after the first free service i will be going to my LBS to get any future problems sorted as they have been very good to me!

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Personally, I think I know what you mean. My first roadie came from Halfords and, after getting it home, I discovered a that two of the handlebar clamp bolts were finger tight and the indexing had, apparently, been set to 'random'!!! When I picked the bike up, the lad was more interested in selling me tins of GT85 and maintenance plans than he was in walking me through the bike features etc. (first roadie - wasn't even sure how gear selection worked).

I had a similar experience with a smaller local chain. Just before Christmas, I had a pre-booked appointment with them to get fitted for an purchase a new road bike. At the time, I was looking at the Cannondale CAAD 8. I took the afternoon off of work and turned up at the pre-booked time to be told...."can't do that today - we're too busy". I was instructed to, "just go look at the stock and I'll try to help you in a while". After 15 minutes (during which time the guy sold a good forty quids worth of lights) I decided to try my LBS. That guy was also busy but managed to find me a Trek 2.3 which felt perfect. He even did a deal - which saw me getting the bike for about £100 less than I had planned to spend on the CAAD8. The best part was when I went to collect it and he was doing the setup; before he loosened any of the seat or handlebar bolts he said, "I'll just go and get a torque wrench". Music to my ears.

In all honesty, I do not think you can blame the staff in big chains as they are probably aggressively targeted on the amount of accessories etc, that they sell. Equally, a lack of training and organisational culture all conspire to draw their focus away from service and pride in their work. The guy in the LBS is driven by wanting customers to return; the guys in bigger chains are driven by targets derived from a balance sheet, created by a pencil chewer far, far away from the real world!!!

But, notwithstanding this, I still agree that it's a shame few people seem to take pride in their work these days.

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
we aint all bad! I work in decathlon in Warrington. I must admit there are a few comments when I spend the same amount of time setting up a £100 bike as i do a £1000 bike but there again i am the only person there who lives and breaths bike! Ive got a few of the lads up to speed and if they cant do something and Ime not there they leave me a note and put the bike in the back. BUT there is one lad who seems to think he is the dogs danglies and wont listen to a word i say but you cant win them all.

Top Bottom