Bike theft experiment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I just read in our local paper about a bike theft experiment done in 10 major UK cities.

An unlocked new £130 bike was left outside a shopping center nearthe city centers.

In London it was gone in 17 minutes all 10 were nicked in under 4 hours:sad:

Liverpools bike took the longest to dissapear in 3 hours 50.

3tyretrackterry

i wonder how much that experiment cost i could havew given them the same answer for a tenner
in certain parts of leicester a locked bike will go in less than 17 mins

Cubist

Still wavin'
Banjo said:
An unlocked new £130 bike was left outside a shopping center nearthe city centers.

In London it was gone in 17 minutes all 10 were nicked in under 4 hours:sad:

Liverpools bike took the longest to dissapear in 3 hours 50.
Looks like it took the Scousers longer to find someone willing to ride a £130 bike! :welcome::biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We've already been over this one. It's a nonsense anyway - just tabloids on a slow news day. 'Let's draw universal conclusions from one incident' - how scientific.

It does remind me, tho', of the last attempt at this kind of thing, run by London's favourite bumwipe, the Evening Standard, which similarly left an unlocked bike somewhere in town. Over something like three hours it was touched twice - by people picking it up to lean it back on the railings after it had fallen over. It never got taken. The ES was - you could tell - gutted.

tyred

Legendary Member
I wonder how long it would take if they'd used something like my shopping bike, an ancient, slightly rusty, single speed lady's upright with the saddle taped togther. I never bother locking it outside the shop but I can't recall a single incident of bike theft around these parts. I even see expensive road bikes left unlocked.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What was the point of this? Why not set up a police sting operation with the bikes like Cheltenham or where ever it was that did that sort of thing.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
marinyork said:
What was the point of this? Why not set up a police sting operation with the bikes like Cheltenham or where ever it was that did that sort of thing.

yep, enough sting operations and they might actually reduce bike theft

Mac66

I understand that the latest trend in bike theft is for the thief to lock it up. He can then come back at his leisure because you can't undo his lock. He unlocks it and then bolt croppers through your lock

Cubist

Still wavin'
marinyork said:

"That's because the police don't do anything. There's no point ringing them, they never turn up, and when they do they're bloody useless. I know this to be a fact because in 1987 my Aunt rang the police to report a rape ongoing and they were too busy installing speed cameras to turn up. The police actually encourage cycle theft because that way the scrotes get run over and killed because there isn't a bobby on every street corner like there used to be, and anyway, even if the police catch the thieves they always get let out again. And there was a bloke who tried to stop the thieves from nicking his bike and the police hit HIM with their batons and arrested him for breaching the thief's human rights. I know that one to be a fact 'cos my neighbour told me. Probably. And they arrested one cycle owner 'cos they said his D-lock was an offensive weapon now that it had sharp edges where the bolt-croppers had been through it. And after they'd nicked him they cycled off on the pavement.

Top Bottom