Bike tyres v car tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since I am old and grey and drive like a codger, I am not too fussy about brand of tyres on my car. At 8 years old it still has 2 original tyres on, and 2 cheaper replacements that perform well enough for me.

The camper van was fitted with new wheels and a matched set of van-specific tyres not long after we bought it, and if I were to renew any I would probably seek out like for like replacements. It has to haul quite a weight for long periods at up to 80mph (in France) and I would not willingly go for cheaper tyres on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Your original tyres are almost at the end of their service life by don't of age Mr Dodger. Not bad going to stretch them out like that, get your moneys worth out of them.

Jody

Stubborn git
I go for decent rubber and research stopping distances etc. My life is worth more than fifty quid saved.

I replace them at 3mm, the point at which the tread ceases to function duento water incompressibility.

This for me in terms of car tyres. Wouldn't buy any ditchfinder type tyres but won't go with Michelin just because. Has to be a preium brand tyre

But yes I spend a good while researching both. Car for safety and bike so I get what I need out of them. Weight, size, tread, carcass type, compound, price, use etc

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Car tyres are easy IMHO. If the size fits, buy Uniroyal Rainsport 3. There may be better ultimate performance tyres but for the price they really are outstanding, and particularly so in wet conditions.

screenman

Legendary Member
Quality car tyres for me. I am not into penny pinching when it comes to safety.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Can't stand gatorskins, sorry. Tried on once, seemed to spend more time going sideways than forwards. I realise that's just personal preference and wouldn't use it as the basis of a recommendation to anyone else - the only unequivocal bike tyre advice I'd give is "don't do the dunwich dynamo on a tyre that you used on a turbo trainer all winter"

Usually get Michelins for the bike, but I wish they wouldn't keep changing the names of everything. Car has seen not much more than 4000 miles/year for the past five years so I expect the tyres will perish before they wear out.

Reactions: mjr
There are always economies and compromises.

Better grip requires a softer, less well wearing compound, longer life requires a harder compound and hence less grip

Decide what you want and act accordingly

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Can't stand gatorskins, sorry. Tried on once, seemed to spend more time going sideways than forwards.
My experience too, albeit a while back. 25c wire on Gatorskins are the only tyre I've ever wheelspun standing to pedal away from the lights. They rolled great at the recommended pressure, and were nice in the dry - but god, lethal in the wet.

Top Bottom