Bikes and trains, what are the 'rules'...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosscbrown

Morning Afternoon all,

Took my bike up to Edinburgh last week, made a reservation and all that. Go on the train to find the designated cycle space occupied by people and luggage. As a result I had to stand with my bike blocking the train exit. The train was pretty much standing room only all the way. When the train is busy like this can I clear people out of the cycle space?

The whole idea of the cycle space is to store the bike safely so that if there is an emergency the bike is not blocking anyone's egress route. With the bike across the exit doors, if there was an emergency there was a real possibility that my bike might have been scratched or damaged as people escape the overturned/smoke filled/alight/contaminated/flooded/buried train carriage.

Likewise, if there are safer areas on the train for me to keep my cycle in times of overcrowding (such as an empty wheelchair/multi-use space, can I use these as opposed to the designated cycle space?

Finally, if I don't have a reservation can I be forced off the train enroute? Getting up to Edinburgh is more difficult as I join at an intermediate station and the train is fairly packed. Coming back should be ok, just get there early...

sgw

The rules on carrying bikes on trains vary with the different train companies. When there are insufficient places, it is up to the discretion of the guard as allowing any more on. I would have thought that having a reservation for a bike should ensure that the place is kept clear but nothing surprises me about the ridiculous way our trains are run.

On my local line it is not possible to reserve a bike space. Cyclists are expected to wait at the platform until a train arrives with an empty space. As there are only two places per train this can be a bit of a gamble.

if there was an emergency there was a real possibility that my bike might have been scratched or damaged as people escape the overturned/smoke filled/alight/contaminated/flooded/buried train carriage.

Good to see you have your priorities sorted though. ;)

Most times a polite 'excuse me can I put my bike there' works for me on Scotrail. Technically I think the guard can ask them to move also. Most disabled bays with tables can be converted to bike space by the guard also if needed but I've never seen it done. I don't see a problem with using it as long as you are willing to move if a disabled person needs it.

In most of central Scotland you cant reserve a space so its a case of first come first served but guards usually turn a blind eye to extra bikes as long as its not blocking the corridor. Technically on a route where reservation is needed and you dont have one but the cyclist coming on do you'd need to make way for them perhaps dissembarking but its would take a right job worth of a guard to put you off the train but you travel knowing that risk.

My experience is limited to central Scotland (and Scotrail) though, how are you getting to Edinburgh, Virgin ?

g00se

Veteran
It depends on the type too. On National Express East Anglia, the commuter trains have limited space and you can't take a full sized bike during rush hour. On the express trains, you get the old fashioned guards van will plenty of room - so much so that reservations are a bit pointless.

A tip if the bike spaces can be reserved but your operators website doesn't have the option to reserve a space - go to the East Coast trains website and book tickets for any journey on any other network and you can reserve the bike space there.

Jezston

Über Member
It seems luggage space on trains has been massively decreased in recent years so they can fit more seats on. On the current East Midlands trains, on each carriage for, what, 80 or so seats there is about enough room for about 8 suitcases. I've often seen arguments break out with train staff when someone has their suitcase in the middle of the corridor and a staff member tells the owner off for having it there and they should move it, and the owner asks the staff member where exactly are they supposed to move it to, usually responded with a that's your problem just move it type response.

I guess the correct response in such a situation is speak to a member of staff - you have reserved that space for your bike and thus that space is yours much as your seat is. But I guess the response is likely to be a fob off. Maybe complain to the train company about lack of space for luggage? Although likely response may be getting rid of the already utterly inadequate space for bikes. How many passengers on a large inter-city train these days? Must be in the hundreds. And two bike spaces. Pathetic.

OP
OP
R

rosscbrown

I'm traveling Transpennine Express from Lockerbie to Edinburgh. Just space for two cycles in Coach C - an area with no apparent method of securing bikes but four fold down seats located directly across from one third of the train's luggage space. The service is non-stop from Lockerbie to Haymarket so if the disabled space is free it is likely that it will be free for the entire route.

As for turing up at the station and hoping for the best, waiting for the next servie is i'm unlucky - I can see that being alright on regular services - say every 15 min to an hour, but on the Loc > Edin' route there are, at times, four hours between trains. I'd be quicker cycling to Edinburgh - well I wouldn't but a more proficient cyclist might.

In all honesty I expected the space to be actually, you know, reserved for me.... I would feel bad moving people out the way on a packed train so my bike can enjoy three pseudo-seats worth of space.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think TPE have two variations on bicycle space, one being in coach A on one type of train and another on coach C, basically as you describe. A similar thing happens on XC where the new bike spaces by the door of a main carriage tempt people to sit and stand in them and block out the bikes even though they most certainly aren't seats or standing areas and don't resemble them in any shape or form.

The First Transpennine site is very similar when it comes to bikes as First Scotrail

Most of our trains have a dedicated area for carrying two bicycles. These are carried free of charge and space can be booked in advance by calling our reservations team on 0845 600 1674 . They can confirm how many spaces are available. If you are unsure when you will be travelling, you can take your bike with you without booking in advance, but space will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. For more information visit our Cycle Policy

Tbh though I wouldn't expect the cycle space to be kept empty for reserved bikes , people with heavy luggage/ children etc just tend to plonk things down at the first opportunity, this is beyond the guard's control.

OP
OP
R

rosscbrown

Perhaps it is a case of education. Passengers need to be educated that the flip down seats are part of the cycle space. Print a bike picture on them and manage people's expectations. Like the priority seats on the bus - you are free to use them but when the indented user comes along you should vacate them. Right now, they are just normal seats...

snorri

Legendary Member
though I wouldn't expect the cycle space to be kept empty for reserved bikes , people with heavy luggage/ children etc just tend to plonk things down at the first opportunity, this is beyond the guard's control.
If I had reserved a bike space, I would expect to get a bike space and not be inconvenienced by others too lazy to stow their luggage in the appropriate place, and I would expect to have the guard sort out the miscreants if they had failed to respond to my polite request.
Calmly accepting abuse of the cycle priority areas can only speed the demise of civilisation as we know it.

PS Well, maybe the last sentence was (just) a little OTT.:biggrin:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
It annoys on the C2C when people get on in front of me and then go to sit/stand in the cycle space when they must have seen that I was getting on.  Still if they want a black oily mark on their legs, I am happy to oblige.

If I had reserved a bike space, I would expect to get a bike space and not be inconvenienced by others too lazy to stow their luggage in the appropriate place, and I would expect to have the guard sort out the miscreants if they had failed to respond to my polite request.
Calmly accepting abuse of the cycle priority areas can only speed the demise of civilisation as we know it.

PS Well, maybe the last sentence was (just) a little OTT.:biggrin:
Cest La Vie, I wouldn't expect them not to inconvenience me but I would expect them to respond to a polite request to move and tbh that has always worked for me; I've never needed to escalate things to a guard. In an ideal world I would expect of course not to be inconvenienced but this isn't an ideal world ;)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
By far the best facilities for bikes on trains I have ever come across is the line between Sheringham and Holt in Norfolk. Practiclaly a whole carriage for oodles of bikes (as well as prams and other stuff). There's only a small catch, the line's only about 6 miles long, it's a preserved steam railway and the rolling stock was 1920's or so! Shows how much progress we've made since then!

Around here the Ely to King's Lynn (from London and Cambridge) line's pretty good as you can lean your bike up against the doors without getting in the way. It helps that all the stations are on the same side so your bike doesn't topple out onto the platform when it stops. Heading south I've taken the bike as far as Hitchin without any problems. Even in rush hour I've never been stopped or got into any problems with space.

Top Bottom