Bilbao ferry reservations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
Do you reckon I'd be able to get a ticket on the Bilbao to Portsmouth ferry of I just rocked up with the velo and tried to buy the ticket on the day of travel in the middle of August? There must be a finite number of berths on board and in peak season I imagine they'll be quite full. Has anyone any experience of this?
I would book in advance but I don't know how long it'll take me to get there...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Try asking P&O?

Is this a ride down, ferry back tour, or a longer term thing?

If ride/down, ferry back, I think there are only 2 ferries a week so your travel planning doesn't have to be too precise. Give yourself a generous time limit and if you get as far as the Pyrenees and you've got plenty of time, just explore a bit instead of going direct to Bilbao.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
dragon72 said:
Do you reckon I'd be able to get a ticket on the Bilbao to Portsmouth ferry of I just rocked up with the velo and tried to buy the ticket on the day of travel in the middle of August?

And while you're at it can you let me know the winning lotto numbers for the same random week :tongue:

You must consult the ferry company to get a definitive answer and then print it out and keep as evidence should the answer be 'just turn up' and you did on a day that the ferry is solidly booked with all speculative purchasers of tickets being turned away.

I know where you are coming from with what you'd like to do but can you really afford to gamble on being allowed on board if a refusal means having to hang around for a few days until the next ferry?

Can you not build some slack into your tour to give you a definite end?

OP
OP
dragon72

dragon72

Guru
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll play safe and book so that, if the worst comes to the worst, I'll have to kill time in Bilbao eating pinxos and drinking sangria. Could be worse.

By the way, those Lotto numbers will be 5, 21, 22, 29, 39, 46
Not telling you which week though :tongue:

36 hours on a floating Butlins that goes up and down a lot (even in August), that will be 300 quid please sir.

Although if you got lucky with the weather and took a good supply of food & booze it could be ok. Or if you really like kareoke & bingo and have very good sea legs it would be great!

OP
OP
dragon72

dragon72

Guru
Just paid £160 one way for a bloke and a bike. Ouch!
Cheaper to fly and probably just as carbon-expensive, but at least I know my bike will be okay...
Now to practice throwing some "Agadoo" and "Birdy Song" shapes.

To be fair it's not that bad if you stay away from the 'show' bar.
If it's not pitching too much there's a piano bar at the front of the ship that's ok, providing the Barry Manilow wannabe isn't doing his stuff and the food in the brasserie is quite good if a bit pricey. If the weather's good you can stay up on deck and look out for dolphins and whales (or go to the show bar and spot loads of humans the size of whales).

Whilst you're in Bilbao go and touch the outside of the Guggenheim, it's made of baking trays.

OP
OP
dragon72

dragon72

Guru
I perfected my pineapple pushing and tree shaking moves today, so I'm ready for a drop-dead amazing Agadoo when I get on that ferry!

Brains

Legendary Member
dragon72 said:
Just paid £160 one way for a bloke and a bike. Ouch!
Cheaper to fly and probably just as carbon-expensive, but at least I know my bike will be okay...
Now to practice throwing some "Agadoo" and "Birdy Song" shapes.

A ship - even running on the cheapest bunkers available (which they would never do on a ferry) is a lot more carbon efficient than a plane, a car and even a train.

Top Bottom