Bl**dy Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

So, one dog owner...maybe change the title?

The problem with so called "designated cycle paths" is that they are not exclusive use paths, they just mean you can ride your bike on them. The best way to avoid dog walkers, thier dogs and the mess associated with them is to use the properly surfaced designated cycle paths called roads. Ok you have to share with cars, lorries and busses, but at least they are a bit more predictable even if they are just as dirty.

Dan_h

The problem with so called "designated cycle paths" is that they are not exclusive use paths, they just mean you can ride your bike on them. The best way to avoid dog walkers, thier dogs and the mess associated with them is to use the properly surfaced designated cycle paths called roads. Ok you have to share with cars, lorries and busses, but at least they are a bit more predictable even if they are just as dirty.

Unfortunately this does not always work, a couple of weeks ago I was chased and nearly knocked off by a dog jumping up at me as I cycled on the road. To be honest I am not a great fan of dogs and quite a few of the owners don't seem to care what their animals do as everyone likes dogs, right??? :boxing:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would do but it isn't an isolated incident. My wife's been chased by a dog off its lead and she's always having to stop because of the number of dog owners who let their dogs off their leads on what is after all a designated cycle path, Route 54. Not to mention the amount of dog sh*t picked up on your wheels and in your mudguards (yes, there is that much of it)

I'd just stop using the route if it's that bad.

Unfortunately this does not always work, a couple of weeks ago I was chased and nearly knocked off by a dog jumping up at me as I cycled on the road. To be honest I am not a great fan of dogs and quite a few of the owners don't seem to care what their animals do as everyone likes dogs, right??? :boxing:
The Koreans do! In soup..

Crankarm

Guru
Dogs should be banned and culled. Only those professions that need them should be allowed to have them. A bit like guns ie the police can carry them, no one else. There is absolutely no reason for dogs.

This runner mauled by two vicious pit bull type dogs.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16141257

Irresponsible dog owners drive me up the wall too, but please don't tar us all with the same brush.
+1 ^_^ As with most things in life, a few idiots give the majority of us a bad name.
What gets me are the people who pick up their dogs turd, neatly tie the bag then hang the feckin' thing on a fence, gate, tree etc, etc. What the hells that all about? You've bothered to pick it up and bag it, now bin it :cursing:

Just for a bit of levity - I did feel sorry for one of the dogs I met on New Years Day.

Extremely well trained. The owners spotted me on my bike - and told the dog to lie down. A great big, long-haired, Alsatian-type dog. It did indeed lie down, bless him/her ...

in the middle of a big, muddy puddle. The dog just dropped, in the middle of the puddle, and waited for me to pass!

Thank you, dog owners - and I'd hate to clean up the mess on your dog!

paulw1969

Ridley rider
+1 ^_^ As with most things in life, a few idiots give the majority of us a bad name.
What gets me are the people who pick up their dogs turd, neatly tie the bag then hang the feckin' thing on a fence, gate, tree etc, etc. What the hells that all about? You've bothered to pick it up and bag it, now bin it :cursing:

+1
Bagging and not binning is almost worse than not picking it up in the first place.......your putting it in something that will take a long time to degrade....the crap will dissappear a lot quickly if left alone......not that i'm suggesting that!

My wife and I always pick up after our two dogs...........we always bin it......in fact i have been known to take it home because i have forgot i'm carrying it :cursing: one of my catch phrases..."lifes one long sh*it bag".....as all i seem to do is pick up crap. ^_^

Theres no excuse for not picking it up.....like theres no excuse for dropping litter...its going to happen though.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Well, I did the decent thing and met my wife halfway home down the canal this afternoon on the Yuba. It was quite exhilarating cycling in the wind but the journey home was marred by four or five spaniels which had been let off their leads. One of them ran in front of me and I was forced to brake with, of course, a passenger on the back. I pointed out to the owner that he might wish to be a bit more considerate toward cyclists (as it is designated as a cycle route).

No sooner had he passed me than one of the dogs squatted down and did its business. He continued to walk on so I shouted out that perhaps he would like to pick up his dog's mess as I had already trodden dog mess into the house this morning after responsibly walking my own dog. His response was "I haven't got eyes in the back of my head" to which I replied in that case perhaps he might like to keep his dogs on a lead then.

To be honest I'd rather put up with the locals who hang around drinking by the canal than inconsiderate dog owners. One dog off a lead is acceptable if the owner has it under control but there's no way that the owner had any degree of control of his dogs.

Phew. Rant over.:cursing:

I've got a spaniel and to be fair he is pots for rags, disobedient and is ruled completely by his nose. Sometimes we let him off the lead and we have no control over him at all, but he needs a run.

We don't want to upset anyone and yet he needs a good run so we do what all considerate dog owners should do - if he upsets anyone we pretend he's not ours.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom