Bl**dy typical

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

I commute every day, setting off in the dark and coming back in the dark, in all weather & conditions. Today I had to go to a meeting halfway through the day, so for a change it was light, not raining, clear, no fog, almost nice.

Which makes it all the more annoying that the driver who pulled out in front of me at the roundabout didn't see me. Fortunately I had just enough time to get sideways as we collided. Even more fortunately, the driver behind her was an off-duty police officer. Nothing broken, as far as I can tell, but a very sore hand, shoulder and 'rse. The LBS just wrote the bike off - along with the GoreWear jacket & helmet.

So after years of collision free cycling, I have to join the ranks of insurance chasing folk on this site. Its a slight consolation that my 90kg going into the side of her car caused a lot of damage.

Does anyone want to buy a Specialized Allez? One careful owner...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
ahh sorry to hear this- did the off duty officer take statements etc

Hope it works out alright- sorry to hear your bike is written off - hope the insurance payout is speedy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh heck...I can confirm cyclists can cause damage - I dented the bonnet, scratched the car and smashed a wing mirror to bits..... oh and a fist shaped dent in the wing when I was lying on the floor....

Glad you are OK but do watch the shoulder though...do keep an eye on it - complicated and unstable joint...big knocks screw them up. :rolleyes:

How bad is the bike then...not too good.........?

HTML:
neslon said:
I commute every day, setting off in the dark and coming back in the dark, in all weather & conditions. Today I had to go to a meeting halfway through the day, so for a change it was light, not raining, clear, no fog, almost nice.

Which makes it all the more annoying that the driver who pulled out in front of me at the roundabout didn't see me. Fortunately I had just enough time to get sideways as we collided. Even more fortunately, the driver behind her was an off-duty police officer. Nothing broken, as far as I can tell, but a very sore hand, shoulder and 'rse. The LBS just wrote the bike off - along with the GoreWear jacket & helmet.

So after years of collision free cycling, I have to join the ranks of insurance chasing folk on this site. Its a slight consolation that my 90kg going into the side of her car caused a lot of damage.

Does anyone want to buy a Specialized Allez? One careful owner...

Oh careful, last time I suggested that a cyclist could do a fair bit damage to a car I was vilified!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, hopefully it will all sorted via insurance etc. A pain in the arse especially if it puts you off the road for a while, still no serious injury.

I has a lucky escape myself the other day on a RB, where in the toon did yours happen?

OP
OP
N

neslon

fossyant said:

Hard to say - the bars are bent, the left shifter is the wrong way round and the drivetrain is completely jammed. LBS reckon with carbon forks and alu frame they can't guarantee ther integrity, so always write them off. Being mean, my first thought was to try to repair, but LBS chappy was very lukewarm about it. This adds to my bike crisis - hardtail on loan to a friend (same scenario), hybrid-from-the-dawn-of-time on loan to son. So now its commuting fixed (but no guards) or full-suss.

Think I'll take the car, if I can get the moss off.

OP
OP
N

neslon

addictfreak said:
HTML:
I has a lucky escape myself the other day on a RB, where in the toon did yours happen?

Cramlington, where I work, on the way to Morpeth. I was a bit narked as there is a cracking rural ride back from Morpeth to the Toon via Stannington, Blagdon & Dinnington & I was just in the mood.

Having had a few friends involved in accidents over the years, im resigned to the fact that its probably only a matter of time before its my turn!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carbon / alloy - then go with LBS...my off was with a Tange Cro-mo old school MTB - more damage to the car......... my new Fixed is alloy/carbon... not in the bomb proof league as an MTB....

See how it goes, maybe get the bits for a song once the claim is sorted. Your bike has to be put back to original condition - i.e. in this case a new one.......... - I was paid in full for XT SPD's and saddle, bar ends, and bits..... pedals were just a couple of months old, but the other bits were ancient, but LBS quoted replacement price....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
fossyant said:
Oh heck...I can confirm cyclists can cause damage - I dented the bonnet, scratched the car and smashed a wing mirror to bits..... oh and a fist shaped dent in the wing when I was lying on the floor....

Glad you are OK but do watch the shoulder though...do keep an eye on it - complicated and unstable joint...big knocks screw them up. :biggrin:

I had a vs Volvo a couple of years ago and left a tidy dent in his door. Attending copper came out with "pity it wasn't a French car, you'd have gone straight through that"

And take it easy with the shoulder. The damage to mine only really became apparent after all the other post-collision aches and pains had gone down.

Top Bottom