Black Mountains routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Not wanting to watch the you no what yesterday. I ventured further east to do some scouting for the "dirty weekend ". Very glad I did, what an awesome place for off road. I used the Llangorse red and Talgarth black routes as a base. (Unfortunatly no pics as someone had changed the settings on my camera) that ll teach me to check it first next time. Ended up clocking 55 miles and 12500 ft of ascent and descent.

The black route does exactly what it says on the tin, very steep and technical, with some lovely single track forest roads rocks and drop offs a plenty. It takes you right to the top of the range down and back up again. The views are breath taking. Once your up on top there are tracks evrywhere far to many for me to explore in one day. I will be going back soon. The weather can close in pretty fast up there and on a couple of occasions did and the winds are strong. Not surprising over 2000 ft. So if your looking for something a bit wild and a change from the trail parks. This could be it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Sounds great fun. Will have to give some of that a go. I also want to do the Brecon Gap again but in reverse this time. A steeper ascent and a longer descent I believe.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Looks like I'll be taking a look at the Talgarth Red tomorrow. My mate happened to by a book on local(ish) MTB trails and that was the one he fancied.
Take some maps the waypoint signage is pretty poor, let us know what its like havn t done that one yet, hope you can get up to Brecon for at least one ride bring your mate he ll be most welcome.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A change of plan we are now doing the Mynydd Du loop as the route looks easier to follow.

Out of interest do you find mountain route grades a little easier than their trail centre equivelent?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I mean the level technicality in the course.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Mmm well I dont think black routes are given lightly and every one Ive done have been tough technically but red routes do vary greatly the ones ive done outside trail centres seem to be graded on how hard they are in gradient and length rather than their technical difficulty.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well I tried the Mynydd Du Red but my navigator had been a little loose with the truth when he said he had studied the route. We got lost so many times we ended up riding more road than anything else. Next time I will do the research myself. I am a little miffed as in my mind it was a waste of fuel to get there :sad:

Top Bottom