Blast From The Past

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

With it being wet here I took the opportunity to sort out a cupboard I had been meaning to sort out for a while. One of the things that came to life was this list.

12 Speed Tourer
22 inch Pollard Frame (blue) £60.00p
handle Bars (Straight) £2.00p
Rear Wheel with Track Nuts £8.00p
6 Speed Block (13-24) £9.00p
Stronglight 99 Double Chainset (36-50) £31.61p
Wheel Front with Track Nuts £6.95p
Seat Post with Nut £1.64p
Front Changer £4.49p
Rear Changer £11.00p
Gear Levers £3.95p
Handle Bar Grips £0.80p
Chain £2.95p
Weinmann Brake Set £18.90p
(Hangers,Bridges,Cables, Levers and Callipers)
Stem £3.40p
Mudguards £6.25p
Pedals £2.25p
Toe Clips £3.80p
Saddle £4.00p

The list is a parts list from when I built up my Pollard in 1985, It was the first bike I had built up using new parts. I brought the parts for it over several months during the winter, buying what parts I could afford when I could afford them, building the bike up in the spring. I did a lot of miles on it over five or six years. eventually the right side bottom bracket thread stripped and I built up another bike using a second hand frame and most of the parts off the Pollard. I gave the Pollard frame to a club mate and lost track of it.

View attachment 5133

longers

Legendary Member
I've not built a bike up from scratch but can imagine the ownership you'd feel.

On a different tack I emptied my wallet the other week and binned the receipts I'd collected on a Audax I packed on. It was amazing the "ownership" I felt of those bits of cake, finding them made me realise I'd enjoyed most of it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

longers said:
I've not built a bike up from scratch but can imagine the ownership you'd feel.

On a different tack I emptied my wallet the other week and binned the receipts I'd collected on a Audax I packed on. It was amazing the "ownership" I felt of those bits of cake, finding them made me realise I'd enjoyed most of it.

Those days I either built the bikes myself or brought second hand, I couldn't afford to buy a new bike. The find brought back some amazing memories of some of the finest cycling I have done. I belonged to a local touring club and though we rode steady most of the time we would be out all day and would do between eighty and a hundred and twenty miles most Sundays.

Top Bottom