Blasted lurgy, any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have no sympathy:wacko: you have a cold, if it was flue you would not be posting on here, I know about 40 years ago it knocked me for six, in bed for nearly two weeks could not eat did not want to talk to anybody, had real trouble getting out of bed to go to the loo. Mtfu.

screenman

Legendary Member
Wait for it to pass. I had flu for 7 days, didn't eat, could hardly drink, and a week later I'm only just getting back to normal. Plus side is I lost 6kg's.

You were lucky, each time I have had real flu it has lasted at least 6 weeks or more.

gavgav

Guru
I have no sympathy:wacko: you have a cold, if it was flue you would not be posting on here, I know about 40 years ago it knocked me for six, in bed for nearly two weeks could not eat did not want to talk to anybody, had real trouble getting out of bed to go to the loo. Mtfu.
He isn't saying it's Flu is he?

si_c

Guru
Had a horrible hacking cough and a tight chest for a week now, it's keeping me awake at night and I have noticeably less to give when out on the bike. Turbo session on Monday wasn't too bad, but I had trouble elevating my heart rate again. Like the OP this is really starting to piss me off, it is slowly getting better at the moment though.

OP
OP
I
Had a horrible hacking cough and a tight chest for a week now, it's keeping me awake at night and I have noticeably less to give when out on the bike. Turbo session on Monday wasn't too bad, but I had trouble elevating my heart rate again. Like the OP this is really starting to piss me off, it is slowly getting better at the moment though.
I`ve given up all hope of cycling at the moment, I cycled to work one day last week, it made me feel 10x worse and I had to get a bus home. Mine is VERY slowly beginning to subside now, and taking one step at a time back to normality. Whatever this is, is nasty. What started as a cold ended up in a chest infection, and an ear infection, over the last weekend I never ate for three days, and I had several coughing fits that were so voilent that I was sickxx(.

Glad yours is beginning to go, and yes it does really piss you off, and nothing you can do about it either!

GWS:okay:

si_c

Guru
I`ve given up all hope of cycling at the moment, I cycled to work one day last week, it made me feel 10x worse and I had to get a bus home. Mine is VERY slowly beginning to subside now, and taking one step at a time back to normality. Whatever this is, is nasty. What started as a cold ended up in a chest infection, and an ear infection, over the last weekend I never ate for three days, and I had several coughing fits that were so voilent that I was sickxx(.

Glad yours is beginning to go, and yes it does really piss you off, and nothing you can do about it either!

GWS:okay:
Same to you! I've clearly not had it as bad as you, just been the cough and a tight chest. Was almost sick a couple of times with some of the more violent fits but just managed to get it under control.

Don't push yourself too soon, last thing you want is to be sick for longer! GWS!

This is not a binary thing.

I caught the 'flu last year. I know it was 'flu because of the seriousness of the symptoms, and because - as I probably caught it a Dubai Airport, so I was concerned at what it could be - I saw a doctor who confirmed the diagnosis. The onset was sudden: I went from thinking a had a bit of a cold to not being sure I could get home half an hour later. I had muscle pain, headache, temperature, confusion and delirium.

So I went to bed for 12 hours, got up had some soup, slept another 12 hours and that was it. I was basically better, just a few days of keeping away from anyone over 80 or recovering from surgery.

Meanwhile there was a rhinovirus going around (possibly the same one @iateyoubutler has) that was knocking out people for weeks and led to three friends I know getting diagnosed for the first time with asthma.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Sudafed is a bad idea generally as it has widespread effects around the body. If you are desperate try a decongestant nasal spray. At least then you have a local effect. Can help a bit with blocked tubes from back of throat to middle ear. With all ephedrine/adrenaline-like decongestants, if you use them regularly for more than a few days you will get rebound congestion when you stop - generally I advise avoiding them completely.

If you have a productive cough/catarrh then never use decongestants as better out than in is the rule.

The best thing for blocked sinuses and related is often steam inhalation. This thins the mucus and helps the body to clear it naturally. Spend a bit longer than usual in a hot shower or bath and breathe deeply - try to breathe through the nose if you can. At other times of day, use the traditional bowl of nearly boiling water and tea towel over the head.

Most blocked ears associated with viral respiratory tract infections will run their course along with the viral illness itself. Possible to get secondary middle ear infections so if things don't clear up in a few days or get worse then go see your GP.

Keep hydrated and use common sense!

Hope you feel better soon

OP
OP
I
Well, after 2 weeks of feeling sorry for myself, sleeping, staring into bowls of hot water, and being totally miserable, things seem to be improving. I went back to work yesterday, and cycled in which made me feel good, hadn`t lost too much fitness either which was a confidence boost. Still not going to push myself too hard just yet and am glad of the long weekend to relax. I really, really don`t want this back again, and if any of you guys have got it I`m very sorry for you - there is nothing that will speed up it`s demise, it`s just a waiting game

Reactions: mjr

gavgav

Guru
I have managed to catch my second bout of Summer Man Flu in 6 weeks, on the hottest week for years :wacko:

Was planning on taking the bike up to the caravan for the weekend, but now that's gone out of the window and I'm not sure I'm even going to be fit enough to get up there tomorrow morning in a delayed departure.

Sick and tired of sneezing, coughing and the after efffects ruining my summer riding since the end of April.

Top Bottom