bless my mum...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
There's been a bit of an uproar around here because the local Council wanted to put cycle lanes in and around one of the local areas for the kids to use on their way to school...(and it just so happens by coincidence to be the area that most house owners own 4 x 4s). so my mum wrote to the newspaper telling them that the residents should basically stop being peanuts, consider the health and enjoyment of their kids and that maybe all those people who are moaning should get their fat butts out of their 4x4s and get on a bike too.

anyway, the paper printed her letter and she's dead proud. i'm a bit proud too, but i haven't got the heart to tell her that i don't really like cycle lanes coz i think they make it more dangerous for cyclists.

Keith Oates

Janner
Good for her, I hope it strikes a chord with some of the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I can stand by any road here and watch 4x4s go past and see the Jabbas driving them. :biggrin:

"Oh god, this pwr steering is making me sweat...!"

jonesy

Guru
buggi said:
.... i'm a bit proud too, but i haven't got the heart to tell her that i don't really like cycle lanes coz i think they make it more dangerous for cyclists.

The next step then is to make sure that the cycle lanes are installed in line with good practice:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland/engineering-planning/design-checklist/

I share your concerns about much of the cycling facilities that are inflicted on us, but if they were done properly, and only installed where appropriate, where they provide some advantage to using them, then I don't object in principle.

thomas

the tank engine
jonesy said:
The next step then is to make sure that the cycle lanes are installed in line with good practice:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland/engineering-planning/design-checklist/

I share your concerns about much of the cycling facilities that are inflicted on us, but if they were done properly, and only installed where appropriate, where they provide some advantage to using them, then I don't object in principle.

+1. On my commute there are some nice ones, about 2 meters wide. Only problem is, the other side of the road doesn't have one (rubbish pavement thing). That means that cars try to squeeze past on the way home which doesn't really help.

caz

Ah, so that's your mum! I quite enjoyed reading her letter especially the "fuddyduddies" bit. But, unfortunately, I don't think the residents of that area will take a blind bit of notice and will continue to "ferry their children to and fro, polluting the atmosphere even more".

Well done your mum - I wonder if there will be any response in next week's paper!

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
downfader said:
I can stand by any road here and watch 4x4s go past and see the Jabbas driving them. :tongue:

"Oh god, this pwr steering is making me sweat...!"

LOL that soooo made me sweat!

caz said:
Ah, so that's your mum! I quite enjoyed reading her letter especially the "fuddyduddies" bit. But, unfortunately, I don't think the residents of that area will take a blind bit of notice and will continue to "ferry their children to and fro, polluting the atmosphere even more".

Well done your mum - I wonder if there will be any response in next week's paper!

yea it is Caz, shall we back her up ??? (ps. when are we going out for that ride?)

caz

buggi said:
there is a site, but the letter isn't on there. it seems to be a week behind so i'll check in a couple of days.

Sorry Buggi, I found it on this page. Go down to the letter titled "On yer bike, Knowle". There is also another letter prior to that about cycling.

Top Bottom