Blimey, you feel as smug as a mug but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Wolverhampton has been in absolute grid-lock today from 3pm. I had to take a few detours from the Police (at 5pm), they weren't even bothered about me going on the pavement as I couldn't get round the cars (I did ask first). Yes, it felt good going round everyone, even had a few 'you lucky sod' out of windows and having no cars pass me on the A449 to Stafford.

But then you think, there has got to have been a terrible incident for this. I feel a tad guilty now, as there is probably someone lost their life. :biggrin:

Anyone else had this?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This morning..oh traffic jam in a funny place....I'll whizz past this......ho ho....

Erm...police car, then glimpsed a helmet...eh..... what......then bike, then cyclist sat up on curb, helmet still on but front missing, blood etc..... sh1t.............. car at 270 to road...... let's just say I rode a lot slower then...shook me up.

Most of the mahoosive jams are, unfortunately due to terrible accidents.... although I felt mighty smug a couple of years ago when we had storms (high winds) that shut all the motorway bridges in the N. West...I took great delight sending emails to ex' colleagues .....took them two hours to reply....and I rode in to my new employer.....

Wolf04

Newcastle was totally gridlocked for a couple of hours several years ago. Turned out a waggon had lost it's load of fish in the middle of the tyne bridge :biggrin: Hope your incident was as trivial with all respect to the fish.

Trumpettom001

I've only had somthing liek this happen once, and I've found that car drivers position their cars whilst sitting in a que so that you can't whizz past... darned annoying as i't the only time that i get to overtake cars in a 40mph lane

dav1d

I was looking after my cousin's flat in Wythenshawe while she was away, and debated whether or not to just get the bus back there after cycling home to collect something from the post depo in Salford.
Thought I had plenty of time to collect it that day, but the last collection time had changed from around 8 to 1pm, maybe cos of the strikes?
Having realised this on the way, I looked at the time and thought there was no way I could make it as it takes the buses a lot longer than the time I had plus I was on a chunky mountain bike.
Was about to turn around and go back when I thought "I've made it this far..." Cue some frantic pedalling! I actually made it!:cheers:

I was debating whether to just get the bus back, but decided to cycle and when I hit Rusholme, was glad I did because there was a huge traffic jam, think there was a football match on or something. I got there without a single bus passing me. So had I chose the lazy option, I would have been sat waiting for ages on a bus.
So, although I took it a bit easy (going faster than my average speed but less than my maximum) on the way back, I still beat the bus both ways!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Our council have just decided to dig the road up near where i live even though they have had seven school run free weeks to do so and now it is gridlock city for at least a mile each side of the lights.......but not for me ! :cheers::biggrin::biggrin:

I have however noticed the classic car positioning nearer the kerb to try and stop my progress which fails as you go round the other side !

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Trumpettom001 said:
I've only had somthing liek this happen once, and I've found that car drivers position their cars whilst sitting in a que so that you can't whizz past... darned annoying as i't the only time that i get to overtake cars in a 40mph lane

Nah, you just don't ride right.
Only once have i gone for a gap, and it been too narrow, but only slightly too narrow, just tapped someone's mirror!
Just go for it, there usually is enough room.
I scared a chav on a moped, when he looked at a gap, where a bus was on the right, car on the left, not enough room, so i shot past him, and went straight through the gap.
He rode past and did the tommy tanker sign, but its not my fault hes a wimp and doesn't know what gaps he can and cant fit through.
Was a right wimp at a mini round about aswell, have to punch your way through.
Same with traffic, punch your way through;)

Dont blame me if you do serious damage though

Trumpettom001

Hmm, that might work some of the time, but considering that the car had it's tyre about half a foot away from the kerb, I wouldnt much chance myself fitting through it... (I've also clipped a wing mirror, and got a very foul response for doing so, so I'm trying not to do it again)

having said that, I could just mount the pavement when I see a block ahead, but considering the block on my route is normally just outside of a police station, I think I'll wait the 30 secs....

Joe24

Nah, just go.
When i tapped a woman's mirror, she apologised to me!
If there's half a foot of room on the left, then i know what i would do, if it was just one car.
Always fun, abit of slaloming.

Trumpettom001

Lol the woman I clipped gave me the most evil look I've ever had... I cycled off in a rush I can tell you...

P.S. I'm not so good with feet and inches, but you do know that half a foot is 15cm right? O.k., people often mistake me for anorexic, but I'm not that slim!!!!

Joe24

Trumpettom001 said:
Lol the woman I clipped gave me the most evil look I've ever had... I cycled off in a rush I can tell you...

P.S. I'm not so good with feet and inches, but you do know that half a foot is 15cm right? O.k., people often mistake me for anorexic, but I'm not that slim!!!!

That's hardly anything!
Get some spacial awareness!!! Jesus, how much room do you want?
On a club ride, we were in Newark, line of cars going slow, i was straight on the outside, and left everyone behind.
Then, between Matlock and Matlock bath, long queue, out and keep going, turned around and everyone else had dissapeared:wacko: Had to slow down when i got past the traffic, to wait for them.
Its simple, just be confident. You only got an evil stare, should of just smiled back at her;):rolleyes:

Top Bottom