Blood Cholesterol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

I had a blood cholesterol test last week and, over the course of the last year, it seems I have improved a lot, but not enough.

Despite a year of better diet (I've lost one and a half stone) and over 3000 miles of cycling, my bad cholesterol is still too high (about 5.5) and my good cholesterol still too low (about 1.1). My total-to-good ratio of about 6.6 is down from 8 a year ago but still not good enough.

So the doc has prescribed statins, which I was offered a year ago but declined. I really wanted to avoid taking drugs but my "natural" efforts have not delivered the necessary results.

I'm 48, have moderate blood pressure levels and don't smoke (never have) so I don't feel high risk but the doc is now strongly recommending the pills.

Anyone else using them?

bc

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Not being funny but are you comparing winter cholesterol figures with winter figures a year later? If it's out by a time, it's not a completely fair comparison.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

marinyork said:
Not being funny but are you comparing winter cholesterol figures with winter figures a year later? If it's out by a time, it's not a completely fair comparison.

Yes it's November 2007 to December 2008.

Didn't realise it was seasonal!

bc

marinyork

Fair enough. I've heard people beat themselves up about very modest increases between summer and winter before.

I'm far too young to be offered statins but most of my parent's generation seem to be being offered them at the moment if the PCT can afford them. On the other hand your efforts last year sound great, so I hope it pays off eventually.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

marinyork said:
Fair enough. I've heard people beat themselves up about very modest increases between summer and winter before.

I'm far too young to be offered statins but most of my parent's generation seem to be being offered them at the moment if the PCT can afford them. On the other hand your efforts last year sound great, so I hope it pays off eventually.

Thanks. I'm probably fussing about nothing...

bc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine is a bit high - or was when I had it tested, can't be bothered - fit as a fiddle, really good blood pressure....

Probably due to my liking of beer and red wine.....

ChrisKH

Guru
Never been tested, but I probably should be as I have had dietary restrictions for the last six years and a family history of heart disease. Do they do any home testing kits?

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

ChrisKH said:
Never been tested, but I probably should be as I have had dietary restrictions for the last six years and a family history of heart disease. Do they do any home testing kits?

Boots. Probably any chemist, they're everywhere these days. Only give a general indication though.

bc

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I’m on Simvastatin, so why shouldn’t you :biggrin:, I did the right thing and cut out all red meat and last month after a blood test they now tell me I’m anaemic you can’t win, now I'm on iron tablets :tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
marinyork said:

How do they vary seasonally?

I've only had mine tested once - last Christmas and wasn't pleased with the results 4.9 if I remember correctly. I'm only just 42 and do have several members of my family who have high cholesterol despite the tablets. How often should you have a test?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ChrisKH said:

Why not go to the docs and have a fasting Cholesterol test done properly?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
beancounter
I'm on Simvastatin and Ezebitimide to lower Cholesterol. I have familial history and already had one Coronary artery stented... I'm 45 and been fairly fit but was a heavy smoker.
As I take beta-blockers it's hard to comment as to whether the Statins have any negative side effects as the blockers make you feeel a bit dopey-weird anyway.

My Cholesterol is still above 5 and they're talking about upping the level. Firstly I'm trying to loose weight and excercise more, but |I may have to accept the inevitable.

I think taking the pills is better than a real heart crisis, that's just scary.

marinyork

summerdays said:
How do they vary seasonally?

I've only had mine tested once - last Christmas and wasn't pleased with the results 4.9 if I remember correctly. I'm only just 42 and do have several members of my family who have high cholesterol despite the tablets. How often should you have a test?

I'm not a medic, although strangely enough I did nearly end up working in a blood centre. Cholesterol levels tend to rise in the winter and be at their lowest in the summer. There is no known exact mechanism to explain this as there are many factors that could account for these seasonal changes. Cholesterol varies full stop. They don't vary that much but my point is medics and more importantly PCTs tend to set arbitrary limits on things and one set of readings might put you under funding for something and another set over it. Doctors are supposed to take a whole series of cholesterol readings before deciding what to do. In reality, with how PCT politics works out at a local level, how you get treated shall we say varies a fair bit.

Again I'm not a medic but if you're unhappy with 4.9 I really think you should be getting several more readings. I believe a friend's mother and the rest of her living family have FH, and she only found out fairly late on in life unfortunately. If someone else in your family has that or something else alarm bells should be potentially be ringing in your GPs ears. That's not to say there's anything wrong with you but that they should be investigating and that the level of GP interest doesn't equate to how badly you need any treatment/monitoring. If you want some simple leaflets of length the british heart foundation have a publications section http://www.bhf.org.uk/publications.aspx .

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for your answer ... I think I was hoping to get a really healthy reading and wondering what my siblings levels are like considering I am the only one with a healthy BMI and the only one that is active. (One would use the car to go absolutely anywhere and is the heaviest). I don't think its panic stations yet but something I am going to have to be aware of in the future.

gavintc

Guru
My cholesterol levels were over 10 when I was checked completely by chance following an accident. I now take 40 mg of Atorvastatin daily and it controls it well - my bad cholesterol hovers in the mid 4 now. What really pisses me off is that this is a family problem and although most of my parents generation have died from heart problems and 4 of my own generation, my brother who has a very unhealthy life style appears to be untouched by it all.

Top Bottom