Blood pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've deliberately put this in chat because I'm not after advice!

I had to get a medical cert for sportives as a cert is required over here. So, back in May, I visited the docs. He said my blood pressure was border line high at 140/80 and I should monitor it. So I bought a machine and began to take regular checks. Periodically, I also do a bit of reading on the subject.

What's amazing is just how much my BP varied (a low of 116/65 after exercise to a high of 163/89) AND how much difference of opinion there is out there as to what constitutes high. So it really is difficult to get any idea of what constitutes a problem. Bottom line for me is that I feel fine. I can ride a bike for 200km without problem. My resting pulse is around 45, I can push it to 175 without keeling over and it quickly recovers. Non smoker, veg/fruit rich non-fatty diet. So not a lot wrong with me.

My BP is probably due to my naturally tense and stressed nature. I need yoga, if anything, not drugs!

In France, they really like prescribing drugs. Go into any town and the most modern looking shop is the pharmacy, it's a very profitable business! So I'm pretty sure the doc would want to put me on drugs and that's not going to happen! I'm quite happy with my BP as I feel fine (though I will keep monitoring it).

What are others feelings thoughts on the subject?

tomb1960

I think organisations such as the World Health Organisation or British heart Foundation have definitions as to what constitutes high blood pressure (I daren't look as i am sure mine is right up there at times), and as far as I can see the recommendations as to when treatment should start seem to be creeping downwards. That said there is nothing more guaranteed to send your BP up more than the doctor taking it, I bet your post exercise one is more typical for you!

I think there is good evidence that treating raised blood pressure is a good thing and I think that modern treatments are fairly innocuous, but I completely share your reluctance to be labelled as hypertensive and like you feel fine though I don't think I am up to 200km just yet!

Interestingly enough a weekend or two ago I heard a piece on the radio about the French government being keen to get family doctors en France to be less eager to reach for the prescription pad! There might be an elemnet of that in play too.

Happy New Year

Will1985

Über Member
It could have been a case of white coat hypertension. BP fluctuates during the day anyway, so if you take your own readings regularly and they are regularly below 140/90 you're probably not hypertensive. I wouldn't want drugs for such a borderline reading.

PaulB

Legendary Member
What Will 1985 said. Did the doctor take the BP and what did he use? Doctors are notoriously bad at taking BPs (nurses tend to be much better) and nearly all of those abysmal electronic BP machines' readings should be ignored as they are totally unreliable. It's presumably one of these you are using at home and will also be a waste of time. Only the old-fashioned sphygs can be relied on and only then when used by an experienced operator. It's estimated that due to the reliance on innacurate (and inexperienced measurer's) readings, 10-15% of people are taking BP medication they don't need to while a further 10-15% of people who should be taking the meds, aren't. A bit scary really but this was my job for five years and so I do know a little bit about it.

OP
OP
Y

yello

That's interesting PaulB.... just to add to the confusion! Yes, I reckon I do have a 'waste of time' home use gizmo. Ironically, just after posting and as a matter of interest, I took my BP again.... 163/143!!! By that reading, I should have on the verge of heart attack! I decided to dismiss that reading! Just backs up what you're saying really.

Yes, the doctor took the BP. He used a hand bulb pump kind of thing.

So, how does one get a BP reading that you can trust?

PaulB

Legendary Member
The "hand bulb pump" kind of thing is exactly what should be used but again, you could have "white coat hypertension" as Will suggests or he may not have taken it correctly anyway. The one you're using at home, is it an Omron or such like and do you use it on your upper arm or your wrist?

OP
OP
Y

yello

There was definitely a bit of white coat hypertension - my pulse was up around 10 on normal too! Bear in mind that my French is pretty rubbish and Doc spoke no English - so I was naturally anxious. My home tester is an Orgalys , it's the upper arm cuff type.

Snorri - yes, I know. It's the silent killer! Hence me being amazed that there's some conjecture as to what constitutes a high BP!!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
A couple of years ago when I first moved to Devon my blood pressure was at 150/90 and as my Mum has had lifelong problems with it the doctor took a keen interest. Before then it had almost always been 120/80. I had a 24 hour BP cuff (which stank after about 12 hours!).

The 24 hour test showed a fairly high reading, and docs decided to monitor it over a 6 month period, fortunately it got lower each time. Then, when I had a virus about 18 months ago it went back up to 150/90. As I was ill, they discounted that.

Just had it taken as part of a routine trip to the docs and it was 120/80.

As has been discussed there are loads of factors that can raise it, for me I think holding my breath when it's being taken might have something to do with it!

I think the initial high reading was due to being completely stressed out - new job, new house, new part of the country, and I'd just cycled to the surgery...

My GP was keen that I avoided any drugs unless absolutely essential as she said you can feel fine with relatively high BP, but the drugs can make you feel worse. My Mum is a testament to this.

It might be worth getting it monitored over a 6 month period - could someone do it for you at home?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
yello said:
I've deliberately put this in chat because I'm not after advice!

I had to get a medical cert for sportives as a cert is required over here. So, back in May, I visited the docs. He said my blood pressure was border line high at 140/80 and I should monitor it. So I bought a machine and began to take regular checks. Periodically, I also do a bit of reading on the subject.

What's amazing is just how much my BP varied (a low of 116/65 after exercise to a high of 163/89) AND how much difference of opinion there is out there as to what constitutes high. So it really is difficult to get any idea of what constitutes a problem. Bottom line for me is that I feel fine. I can ride a bike for 200km without problem. My resting pulse is around 45, I can push it to 175 without keeling over and it quickly recovers. Non smoker, veg/fruit rich non-fatty diet. So not a lot wrong with me.

My BP is probably due to my naturally tense and stressed nature. I need yoga, if anything, not drugs!

In France, they really like prescribing drugs. Go into any town and the most modern looking shop is the pharmacy, it's a very profitable business! So I'm pretty sure the doc would want to put me on drugs and that's not going to happen! I'm quite happy with my BP as I feel fine (though I will keep monitoring it).

What are others feelings thoughts on the subject?

There was an excellent programme on radio four several months ago about blood pressure and what can be considered to be normal. If I recall correctly something like 115/75 is regarded as being good and the target to aspire to and 130/80 is quite acceptable. It's the lower of the two pressures that causes the problems if its value is too high.

The electronic devices are often derided but the one that I bought from Lloyds is in broad agreement with the traditional sphygnamometer (sp) used at my local health centre. It is quite normal for blood pressure to drop during exercise and for some time after exercise. Variations are quite normal apparently eating salty food can adversely affect blood pressure.

I've had my blood pressure monitored over an extended spell as part of an investigation into my cardiovascular system and it's steadily reduced from 160/90 to 125/75 over the past four years. There was a momentary glitch in the past few months when for no apparent reason my b.p. was elevated and a series of blood tests didn't reveal any causes for concern. It's back to 'normal'.

I can not help with what is regarded as being the ceiling for normal blood pressure but there's no harm in trying to lower your current blood pressure. One thing that was made quiet clear on the radio programme is that low blood pressure isn't a cause for concern and owners of low blood pressure should be congratulated on having an extended life expectancy.

Blue

Legendary Member
yello said:
as a matter of interest, I took my BP again.... 163/143!!! By that reading, I should have on the verge of heart attack! I decided to dismiss that reading! Just backs up what you're saying really.

That reading is high, but I think you should calm down in relation to how you interpret it as a consistently high reading is usually required before intervention is considered!! Be guided by your health professional.

yello said:
Yes, the doctor took the BP. He used a hand bulb pump kind of thing

Some GPs are now moving to the digital type so don't be guided by the type of machine

yello said:
So, how does one get a BP reading that you can trust?

Buy a machine that has been approved by the BHS.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I am really interested in others experiences and opinions in this area. I'd really liked to have heard that R4 program vernon, it would have interested me.

I was thinking earlier, and forgive the tangent, how lifes can be driven by medical problems. What I mean is not like a disability where there are obvious limitations but something like blood pressure. For instance, I have avoided confrontation all my life. I walk rather than fight, always have. I cannot handle stress and fall into depression too easily when I get overwhelmed. I wonder how much of that can actually because I cannot physically be capable of taking stress. A high BP might cause people to naturally avoid stressful situations. Dunno, just a thought.

Blue

Legendary Member
The causes are largely unknown. However, certain lifestyle issues like excessive salt intake, lack of exercise and excessive weight can increase the risk factors.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Blue said:
That reading is high, but I think you should calm down in relation to how you interpret it as a consistently high reading is usually required before intervention is considered!! Be guided by your health professional.

I appreciate what you're saying Blue. I'm not actually concerned about that particular reading because it was SO off the wall. I'm not really asking about my own situation, just using it as an example.

My purpose was really to mention the variety of informed opinion out there. It makes it very difficult for the individual to know which health professional to be guided by!

Top Bottom