Bloody Students grrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
what?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Given the gargantuan sums of money being talked about on an individual basis and the general climate of savage cuts, I thought the protests were pretty tame.

OP
OP
accountantpete

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It doesn't look good for the protesters

Michael-Gove6-415.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Students I can understand but lecturers.... early day off to go Christmas shopping?

asterix

Comrade Member
As a student I went on a demo against student loans in the 80's. Achieved nothing as history shows and we were all well-behaved.

The most popular jobs back then were with investment banks and the like..

thomas

the tank engine
9K is a lot. That works out at about £40 per hour on my course over a year for contact time.

Definitely not worth that, IMO. Currently works out around £15 per hour of contact time...which is what I charge for freelance work so can't really fuss too much at that :tongue:.

I do think it is a lot of money at the moment, but I'm definitely glad I've spent it.

Though, i've not got long left so won't be paying any increased fees so not going to worry myself about it.

darkstar

9K is a lot. That works out at about £40 per hour on my course over a year for contact time.

Definitely not worth that, IMO. Currently works out around £15 per hour of contact time...which is what I charge for freelance work so can't really fuss too much at that :tongue:.

I do think it is a lot of money at the moment, but I'm definitely glad I've spent it.

Though, i've not got long left so won't be paying any increased fees so not going to worry myself about it.

It is a of of money, and I'm glad I'm in my final year. I'm not sure I would attend Uni if the fees were 9k when I started. But you mention 'contact time', which is only one aspect of university. The substantial resources provided by means of libraries, online services etc makes the current fee quite reasonable.

thomas

the tank engine
It is a of of money, and I'm glad I'm in my final year. I'm not sure I would attend Uni if the fees were 9k when I started. But you mention 'contact time', which is only one aspect of university. The substantial resources provided by means of libraries, online services etc makes the current fee quite reasonable.

The £40 is on 9k...but yeah, doesn't count the other things. Even if the fees only covered the contact time I don't find £15/hour that excessive. Now I'm in my final year I have less contact time anyway with running my project so that fee would have been less in past years.

I was told the other day that the cost of running the library per year, per member of staff/student/etc is £1000. So, that's 1/3 of my fees gone. I was quite surprised when I heard how much it cost.

If I were starting UNI again with the knowledge of UNI I have now I would definitely do it; if only for all the social stuff.....and learning how to live away from home (and all the silly little things you learn). I wouldn't pay 9k.

Anyway, this 9k would be the top...UNIs would charge a market rate so courses could be a lot less.

Top Bottom