Bloody useless car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

I have only taken my car to work twice in the last two weeks and it feels great just to cycle by it in the morning. My wife came in yesterday and told me my car is leaking fluid, turns out to be a leaking radiator, i have to use the car next week for a course so i have to shell out to get the damn thing fixed even though i am very rarely using it.
And before anyone says just use the money i have been saving by not using it i have spent that on the bike. Bloody moneypit the car even when its just sitting there.

martynjc1977

Veteran
Sell the car, and live without one. Hire a car if you need one for long trips, shopping can be bought online and brought to your door. I would love to be car free, the other half wont let me :angry:

abo

Yes, I hear you there. Mine needs a new exhaust; it isn't leaking but the baffles have gone and its a bit loud. It just snuck through it's MOT as it is still within the noise and emissions regulations lol

The car only gets used now maybe twice a week, once to take my kids to my parents' on a Tuesday evening, and maybe one other odd trip somewhere, so I haven't bothered getting it replaced...

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My car needs a new clutch and various other things that go with the clutch. Will cost me a grand. Bastard!
angry.gif

I think that someone should make a car that's like a modern version of the old Landrover - cheap to fix, make the parts cheap, deliberately design the whole thing so it's DIY and make it use modern low-emission technology. Possibly a full-electric version. That way you could have something that runs on a meagre amount of fuel and you could keep it on the road cheaply and easily yourself.

chewy

"Modern low emission technology" and DIY are miles apart where the car is concerned!

Although there is something that has virtually no emissions and is pretty DIY friendly......i forget what its called now though !

My car needs a new clutch and various other things that go with the clutch. Will cost me a grand. Bastard!
angry.gif

I think that someone should make a car that's like a modern version of the old Landrover - cheap to fix, make the parts cheap, deliberately design the whole thing so it's DIY and make it use modern low-emission technology. Possibly a full-electric version. That way you could have something that runs on a meagre amount of fuel and you could keep it on the road cheaply and easily yourself.

buy one of those then :biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
Getting rid of the car and hiring if necessary works for me. Mind you, I don't know what car hire costs are where you are as in Kendal it's so cheap everyone I tell is spitting (£30 for 3 day weekend)

BSRU

A Human Being
My car burns an ever more expensive fluid, luckily in the last three months 0 days commuting in the metal box.
I gave the metal box to my better half over 4 months ago after she passed her driving test.

Buy something old and cheap, with an MOT. When it goes wrong, stick it on ebay and buy something else old and cheap with an MOT. You can pick up some great cars these days for not much money: we've just bought an '02 plate Subaru Forester with a new MOT for £550. That's roughly what it would have cost to fix Ms RT's 15 year old Citroen AX, if we'd been daft enough to get a garage to do it. Even to buy the parts for me to fit (like I've got time!) would have cost around £200.

abo

I was lucky this time, my old Peugeot 306 diesel workhorse died last year, poor thing; I really liked that car. My mum had just bought a new car and was about to get rid of her '04 FIAT Punto, she decided to just give it to me. 54k miles on it, needed a little bit of work (and a new exhaust now...), I've only put 4k miles on it.

Got a Mitsubishi Grandis for lugging the family around in when needed, hoping to hang onto that for a few years.

angry.gif

I had one of those

It was a good job it was easy to fix because it needed fixing every day

I'm also not sure on having today's average motorist driving around with brakes that require manual snail-cam adjustment to ensure "optimal" (read "eventual") stopping power

quassleberry

We have an ex - military (RAF) landrover - came with a couple of penguins having done it's service in the Falklands! My partners just refitted rear brake stuff to it making the pipes himself, saved a fortune in garage fees.

The best thing about an old landrover is they're just like a big Meccano kit so you can just repair or replace easily.
Eventually they'll end up like 'Triggers brush' in only Fools & Horses :biggrin:

Top Bottom