Blue Peter presenter cycling to South Pole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cool.

siadwell

Guru
She certainly likes challenges :bicycle:

She certainly does. For those who don't know, in 2010 she kayaked over 2,000 miles along the River Amazon for Sport Relief, making her a world record holder. She's also completed ultramarathons in the Sahara and Namibia.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
On a bike with 8 inch tyres pulling a sledge weighing 13stone!

I bet she needs a granny ring to pull that lot!

Holdsworth

Über Member
On a bike with 8 inch tyres...

I'm guessing she won't be using Marathon Winters for this ride then :whistle:

Also I wonder what the chance are of getting a puncture out on the ice are? I hear that many meteorites are found in Antarctica lying on the snow, she'd be pretty unlucky to get a visit form the space p******* fairy and not have a repair kit!

G-Zero

Über Member
I feel a bit less of a man now, whinging on about my fingers and toes going numb a few days ago :blush:

Loads of respect for her attempt and best of luck to her, but I'll reserve judgement on whether or not it's achievable.

it has been suggested elsewhere that she'll be riding a Surly Moonlander:

bikes_moonlander.jpg

I would.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My mate has the Surly Pugsley, he was quite offended when I broke down in stitches of laughter when I saw it for the first time. I have to question how much snow and sand use he will get in Macclesfield though.

I hope I am wrong, but is this actually a record?

At over 1000 km several of the Iditarod trail winter rides are longer than this trip.

Is the record for the South Pole rather than the longest bike ride on snow

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
it has been suggested elsewhere that she'll be riding a Surly Moonlander:

bikes_moonlander.jpg

I would.
Never seen one of those before so I had a look at their website, interesting that the more normal looking bikes are shown under the heading "pavement".

Top Bottom