Boardman bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's my cx on last year's Holland trip.
Stuck road tyres on and that was it.
20170730_081441.jpg

OP
OP
Butcherf1988

Butcherf1988

Regular
Having dropped bars offers more hand position/ back options.
I've taken my cx proper off road so wouldn't worry about terrain at all. Most models except top of range competition models usually will take mudguard/ racks . Hope u looking at disc brakes. I'm impressed with Vittoria rubino tyres in 35mm size. Speedy and sooo comfortable @60psi
So, can you buy different brands of tyres to go with bikes? ie if i buy a Boardman bike, i can use different brands of tyres? Fliss

pclay

Veteran
Hi, if you intend on riding with a club that use road bike, neither of the 2 bikes you linked to would be that good. Firstly, you don't need suspension on the front fork. The non suspension bike has 37c tyres, which are generally too wide.

I would suggest you consider a road bike, or a flat bar road bike with 28 or 25c tyres.

Elysian_Roads

I don't drive and so Halfords is easiest for me to get to. I live near Aylesbury. I have heard some bad reviews about Halfords but i never understand if the reviews are about the bikes they sell, or the service and quality of service they provide? What other sorts of options are available? Fliss
Many years ago I bought a bike from Broadribbs over in Bicester. Looks like they are still going and offer test rides as well, so may be worth a visit. @Sbudge and @steverob are in the Bucks / Chilterns area so may have some thoughts on local bike shops.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, if you intend on riding with a club that use road bike, neither of the 2 bikes you linked to would be that good. Firstly, you don't need suspension on the front fork. The non suspension bike has 37c tyres, which are generally too wide.

I would suggest you consider a road bike, or a flat bar road bike with 28 or 25c tyres.
Not all Cycling groups are about speed or roadbikes :smile:

Agreed that suspension is unnecessary for road riding, so the first bike linked would be a better choice

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above ,the boardman with carbon fork is a superb bike for a 20-30 mile relaxed ride.
I love mine.

I changed my front gearing so its 46-34 with the 11-32 rear so its a nice bike for any hills.
Not that there are many in Peterborough but there is where you cycle.
Standard 5 bolt 110 bcd so easy to alter the front gearing

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
While you're in Aylesbury have a look at the bikes in Decathlon, they have a range of great value bikes. Worth a look.

You're right service can be a bit variable at Halfords, whether this is due to training, staff turnover or moving staff between departments is not clear. Not had many horror stories on here recently so things might have improved.

steverob

Guru
Many years ago I bought a bike from Broadribbs over in Bicester. Looks like they are still going and offer test rides as well, so may be worth a visit. @Sbudge and @steverob are in the Bucks / Chilterns area so may have some thoughts on local bike shops.
Unfortunately the bike shop in Aylesbury that I always used (Buckingham Bikes) recently closed, which means I'm searching around myself for a decent replacement (though mainly it's for servicing reasons for me).

For buying a new bike, I will second the mentions of Decathlon and point out there's also a branch in Milton Keynes as that may be easier for the OP to get to depending on exact location. Mountain Mania in Tring I've also heard good things about (they do road bikes as well as mountain ones).

U

User65906

Hi, the bike without suspension is the better of the two you listed.
Regarding Halfords, I bought there because am mechanically minded and can
usually sort out any mechanical issues myself, on one occasion I asked that someone
who knew how to assemble a bike be tasked with putting mine together, the manager
proudly stepped in, the handle bars rotated to 30 degrees pushing it towards the shop door,
but as said, I can sort things myself,
But just to be fair, I bought a Trek Madone 3.5 some years back, handle bar clamp was
tightened at an angle you could see it was off with your eyes, the derailieur was loose and
after the first run the chain went off and damaged the frame, that useless Trek dealer is
still smiling and taking people for a ride with his prices, I was not riding the bike when the
chain came off, the bike was for my son, but as you can see, you pretty much need to be
able to go over any new bike to ensure everything is right.

Regarding the OP 's current bike, doesn't it have a third chain ring, meaning low gears are
available, the two listed from Halfords have only two chain rings, the geometry of the current
bike is also quite laid back, I hope the poster test rides any perspective bike before buying to ensure
the gearing is suitable, and the bike behaves as expected.

More costly, http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/boardman-adv-8-9-mens-adventure-bike
but in my opinion a nice bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

pclay

Veteran
Not all Cycling groups are about speed or roadbikes :smile:

Agreed that suspension is unnecessary for road riding, so the first bike linked would be a better choice

Ah yes I assumed that 40-50mile road rides (as stated in the original post) would mostly consist of road bike riders. Of course, they could ALL be hybrids.

Top Bottom