Boardman Hybrid & Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baggytrousers

Hi I've been looking at the Boardman Perfoprmance Hybrid in Halfrauds today and realliy liked the look of it - Has anyone got one and if so can it take full mudguards? There doesn't seem to be much clearance - I don't want to get into any arguments about whether you should have them or not - I do on my current bike and I'm quite happy to continue using them.

OP
OP
B

baggytrousers

When i said i didn't want any arguments about mudguards I didn't mean I didn't want any replies at all

I read another thread yesterday which involved Bonj and one or two others discussing the merits or otherwise of mudguards and it went on for 17 pages! and I didn't want it to start up again.

Doesn't anyone have a boardman? I suppose I could just order some from CRC or wiggle and send them back if they don't fit, it's just the hassle.

smitcras

Boardman Urban Pro Mud guards

I have just bought a Boardman Urban Pro and would like to fit mudguards. did you manage to get a set for your bike in the end?

twowheelsgood

Just me, but I wouldn't buy such a bike with disk brakes. V brakes can easily outbrake the wheel on any surface and are much easier to maintain or bodge together in an emergency.

I love disks on my mountain bike, but I hate bleeding the bleeding things and replacement pads are not cheap.

Just unecessary really, I'd rather have better wheels or tyres for the money.

1LegRikk

The disks are fine on mine ;)
I bought a set of these :-
SKS-Chromoplastic Mudguard Set-45mm Road-Black
I do have 700x35c tyres on so if your keeping the standard ones go for the slightly narrower ones to fit.
The front goes on fine. But the back needs a little tweaking.
Cut small half circles out where the stays touch each side.
Make a small 1/2 inch square block to act as a spacer.
Very simple and they work really well and are very solid, yell if you want pics of what they look like and me little bodges ;)
I did try 2 other types of MG's and these where the only ones that fitted 90% out of the box.

smitcras

Thanks for the info 1LegRikk, some pics of your "bodges" would be great if not too much trouble. I have the standard tyres 700x28C so I see you can getbthem in a 35mm which should be ok.
The guy in the shop said he had treid a couple of sets as well and would get back to me but I thought I would get some good info from the forums.

LondonCommuter

I have the same bike. Initially bought SKS 28mm and gave up because it seemed too much hassle, main problem was that the hole in the frame right at the bottom (on the bit just behind the bottom bracket) wasn't big enough for the nut. And even if I had filed it, I wasn't convinced there was enough clearance to actually get the nut through and tightened.

I then fitted race blades which were better than useless but only just.

Over christmas, with more time on my hands and my other bike written off, I had another go. Thanks to various tips on this forum I solved the nut problem with a cable tie. I've also had to bend the stays to avoid them interfering with the brakes which was fiddly and I'm not entirely convinced that I won't one day miss some crucial braking power because of the cack handed way I've done this but so far so good.

I could post photos of my bodging if you're interested, but prob not till the weekend

1LegRikk

Here we go, i still need to tidy the cuts up a little apart from that it's solid as a rock and works fine ;)

463880666_wcUaT-XL.jpg

463880159_c5aV8-XL.jpg

463880426_LnZya-XL.jpg

smitcras

Thanks for the photos, looks ok. Did you just use a stanley knife to cut the guard or a pair of cutters? looks like I will go down the same route.
Cheers

1LegRikk

I scored a semi circle with a sharp knife then snipped it out roughly with a pair of large wire cutters. Just need to get the dremel on there to tidy it up at some point.

smitcras

Ok thanks.

I have another question. I have a problem with lateral wobble on the handle bars. I took it back today and they said it was normal which I didn't agree with of course. The clamp where the handle bar goes through (the single bolt part) is fully tight but you can still wobble the bar up and down. They are going to have a look at it, did you have any problems with yours. Looks like they have left out a washer or shimm in there.