Bonkers old man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
So I'm waiting in primary in the right hand lane at a roundabout waiting to go straight across (there are 4 roads joining it). As we all know, diving out into a busy roundabout without a decent gap/eye contact on a bike isn't the best of ideas!

I've been there for maybe 20/30 seconds (it's busy) when I feel a nudge from behind. I look behind me to see an old guy in a hatchback with his bumper up against my rear wheel. I gesture to him that he's hit me and he responds by putting the accelator on and slowly driving me forward:ohmy:
Not quite sure what to do (I can't exactly hold my ground against an internal combustion engine!) I turn around, and a gap appears so I take it.

After exiting the roundabout I turn around but can no longer see the car. So I get on my way with no reg number or anything.

No harm done, and not shaken up or anything but quite bemused!
I can understand someone using their horn to voice their frustration (not that it's acceptable) but to bypass that and go straight to shoving someone out of the way with your car. Bonkers:eek:

Your in need of a rear view camera! :blush:

That really does take the biscuit. There's normal boring run-of-the-mill impatience and then there's, well, madness. :angry: Still, he does pay tax I suppose. :biggrin:

I'd have been half tempted to "do a Ronaldo" and go for the "oh oh you've hurt me" sympathy thing :blush: but then I guess that just leaves you lying on the deck with nutter's bumper near your head. :rolleyes:

I must admit if someone started doing that to me I'd be jumping off the bike and getting to the side of the car to have a good look at him and the registration. If he went over the bike, then that would show that I had did the right thing, and I would have all the details I needed to get some comeback.

Oh, and I would have it on camera and make a fortune selling the footage to Road Wars!!:blush:

A couple of months back I was waiting in a queue to enter a RAB, the entry also had a busy zebra crossing. When I had passed the crossing there's a gap about the size of a small car, the RAB was totally blocked by a bus so I had to wait; whilst waiting I got a gentle nudge from the car bumper behind, a similary bonkers old man.

I was waiting (in the car) at traffic lights at a box junction (yellow hashed job) the other week 'cos all the exits were blocked. Our lights were green, but nowhere to go so wait .. except impatient Merc bloke behind went round me across a hashed area and mounting the pavement a bit, going through the now (red light) and getting stuck in the box junction. So he was one car in front after all his efforts, and with a much-elevated heart-rate and stress levels presumably. :blush:

And here was me thinking you were only allowed to RLJ and go on the path on a bike!!

Lazy-Commuter said:
I was waiting (in the car) at traffic lights at a box junction (yellow hashed job) the other week 'cos all the exits were blocked. Our lights were green, but nowhere to go so wait .. except impatient Merc bloke behind went round me across a hashed area and mounting the pavement a bit, going through the now (red light) and getting stuck in the box junction. So he was one car in front after all his efforts, and with a much-elevated heart-rate and stress levels presumably. :blush:

And here was me thinking you were only allowed to RLJ and go on the path on a bike!!

I hope you pointed and laughed...:rolleyes:

magnatom said:
I hope you pointed and laughed...:rolleyes:
I did, but I had the Little-LCs and various school friends in the car on the way to see High School Musical 3 for Little-LC's birthday bash. So then I had to explain what I was laughing about. Then they all pointed and laughed as well. Nothing like a car full of 5 to 8yo girls all laughing at him to upset an Alpha Male. :blush:

hackbike 6

User3143 said:
Hope you are o.k old people driving can be a nightmare. Half off them don't go for a medical when they should do. I have also read about old drivers having an accident and then failing an eye sight test when the police arrive.

Also older people have trouble seeing in the dark as my incident in Gran Canaria with a motorist on a rounderbout will verify.Also someone I used to know who drove up the pavement one night as he didn't see it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I get the feeling this is nothing to do with eyesight and everything to do with him being a rude impatient old git. I'd have given him a right earful!

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Arch said:
I get the feeling this is nothing to do with eyesight and everything to do with him being a rude impatient old git.
Definitely!
Wish I'd done something, as I always do after the event. I get the feeling that if I'd touched his car he might have just run me right over!
Fine for him to touch my bike though, with his ton of metal:angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The original Time road cleats used to make a right mess off car body work......!!!! I've seen a 80's pro do it (ex Milk Race winner - I'll say no more) on a sunday ride....after some old fool tried to knock him off deliberately - good job my club mate was behind (just happened to be an 'off duty' copper), and a fair few other cyclists.... The old codger drove off with said dents in his car after finding my mate was a copper !!!

Top Bottom