bontrager tyres and fulcum 5 rims grrrrrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New fulcrum 5 wheels, new bontrager tyres, simple to fit? Nope, can't get the bead to seat at all, even resorted to using a tyre lever to try to finish the last bit, all it does is chase it round the bloody rim and even busted one lever! My old vittoria zaffiro's not much easier but at least I managed to get them on!

Anyone else found a problem with either the tyre or wheel?

With tricky rim/tyre combinations, try a VAR tyre tool perhaps - otherwise, some decent finger thumb exrecises to improve the human leverage aspect! :smile:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Most modern wheels that require rim tape seem to be the same - you can try talc or heating the tyre up gently beforehand but I rely on Pedro's tyre levers which won't break and easily cope with any tyre/rim combo out there.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Pedros ordered from wiggle, bike refurb continues! Thanks

You can initially have a bit of trouble getting the lever under the tyre to get it off as the Pedro's are quite thick - they have a lifetime guarantee - so a bit of practice before going out will save any frustration trying to change a puncture on the roadside.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I spent about 2 hours, and wrecked 3 tubes trying to get new Michellin Krylions onto Fulcrum 5 rims.

Now they've been on a while they're fine; but that initial fitting was a swine.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I spent about 2 hours, and wrecked 3 tubes trying to get new Michellin Krylions onto Fulcrum 5 rims.

Now they've been on a while they're fine; but that initial fitting was a swine.

I thought it was me! 2 tubes done! I've fitted the zaffiro's for now and will try again when the pedros arrive

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
"I rely on Pedro's tyre levers which won't break"

I just broke 2 trying to remove a tyre to replace apunctured tube and then punctured the new tube fitting it!

Anyone want some fulcrum 5's? :angry:

They may be good value but they are costing a fortune in tubes

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's easy peasy, put the tyre on without a tube, and leave it for several hours, then repeatedly remove and place back on the tyre. this stretches the bead and makes it easy to put it on with a tube.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
"I rely on Pedro's tyre levers which won't break"

I just broke 2 trying to remove a tyre to replace apunctured tube and then punctured the new tube fitting it!

Anyone want some fulcrum 5's?  :angry:

They may be good value but they are costing a fortune in tubes
I take it that the levers are these

pedroslevers500.jpg

a) I'm not sure how it is possible to break them - are you putting one lever under the tyre and levering it over the top of the rim and then repeating the process 3" around the rim with the other -if so at which point are they breaking?

b) When putting the tyre back on you have to poke the tube well into tyre carcass so it doesn't get a pinch bite. It does take a bit of practice though.

As I said earlier - hard to fit tyres are seemingly the norm these days so don't blame the wheels.

buggi

Bird Saviour
my mavic rims + schwalbe tyre combo is easy

my ritchey rims are much harder but i can't remember what tyres i've got on them.

i think it just depends on the combo in the end, i don't think it's down to the individual rim or tyre.

Top Bottom