book recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

as per title.

NOT cycling books, i'm not that interested in lance armstrong's autobiography etc., while it'd be probably be ok for a flick through at times, i'm looking for something gripping with a bit of intrigue to take on holiday.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I am currently reading Arthur C Clarke's Rama series, very gripping from my perspective and with a lot of intrigue and thought provoking sci-fi stuff.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The Cult of Violence by John Pearson. The definitive story of Reggie and Ronnie, updated from his previous work on the subject containing material which he could only publish after their deaths.

Fred and Rose by Howard Souness, chilling but fascinating.

TVC

How about the telephone directory, lots of characters but little plot, and a load of Polish people turn up at the end.

Failing that try some of the classics, Shelley, Hardy or Lawrence.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Smokin Joe said:
The Cult of Violence by John Pearson. The definitive story of Reggie and Ronnie, updated from his previous work on the subject containing material which he could only publish after their deaths.

Fred and Rose by Howard Souness, chilling but fascinating.
fiction, preferably.

Night Train said:
I am currently reading Arthur C Clarke's Rama series, very gripping from my perspective and with a lot of intrigue and thought provoking sci-fi stuff.
never been that into sci fi but might try it, cheers

Rhythm Thief said:
Anything from George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series. Funny and clever, and cracking stories based on real historical events. Very gripping indeed.
cheers, might try that - is it at least semi-fictional?

The Velvet Curtain said:
How about the telephone directory, lots of characters but little plot, and a load of Polish people turn up at the end.

Failing that try some of the classics, Shelley, Hardy or Lawrence.
prose, not poetry.

Smokin Joe said:
The bible has some cracking yarns.

not it doesn't.

great suggestions though from all, keep 'em coming, cheers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Any of the Len Deighton spy series which began with the Ipcress File. Or if you can still find them, the GF Newman Law & Order triology.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
Anything from George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series. Funny and clever, and cracking stories based on real historical events. Very gripping indeed.

what's a good one to start on then?

Just finished Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler. Set in the present and just at the start of WW2. Not bad at all.

Or if you want a totally bizarre reading experience I can recommend The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. You've got the devil and his followers, a poet in a mental hospital for telling the truth, a reconstruction of the story of Pontius Pilate, all set in early Soviet Russia. No wonder Stalin surpressed it!

Lardyboy said:
Or if you want a totally bizarre reading experience I can recommend The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. You've got the devil and his followers, a poet in a mental hospital for telling the truth, a reconstruction of the story of Pontius Pilate, all set in early Soviet Russia. No wonder Stalin surpressed it!

Funny! I've just started to try reading this again (for the umpteenth time), but this time I'll finish it! :tongue:

Top Bottom