Boonen tests positive for cocaine... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Just heard it on the morning BBC news - what a prat.

Bit more info on the cyclingnews site:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/may09/may09news2

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dayvo said:
Once is careless.

Twice is downright foolish.

I'm a fan of Tom Boonen, but it seems that only a lengthy ban might make him learn the error of his ways.

It'll be interesting to see if Quick Step take any disciplinary measures! :smile:

Agreed, a hefty penalty such as a long ban would send out a clear message.
We need to get our sport clean.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Where are Boonen's family and REAL friends during this?

After last years debacle, his REAL friends, agent/manager and family should have rallied behind him and supported him. The only people that would stand by and let him do it again are fawning sycophants.

Besides, what advantage has 'columbian marching powder' got in a sporting context?

OP
OP
Y

yello

ComedyPilot said:
Where are Boonen's family and REAL friends

Good question. We obviously don't know the circumstances and it's all too easy to be critical.

Maybe Tom just liked a toot now and again, or maybe he has a problem. We're in no position to say.

Keith Oates

Janner
In terms of winning races it appears he's done nothing wrong, but he has tarnished his own name and some of that will undoubtedly rub off onto the sport.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
yello said:
Good question. We obviously don't know the circumstances and it's all too easy to be critical.

Maybe Tom just liked a toot now and again, or maybe he has a problem. We're in no position to say.

I am only being critical because it is bringing the sport I love into a negative light in the eyes of the viewing public. The beeb have stated it is a cycle-doping scenario. If it doesn't 'help' him or provide any performance enhancing attributes then how can it be a cycle-doping issue?

I say test ALL 'professional' footballers, and show the public what level of doping is actually going on.

My criticism against the manager/agent/friends/family is justified, as Tom's already been found to sniff a bit. Surely people with a financial/emotional connection to the bloke would, at that point (a year ago), have given him a slap and told him to get back to reality.

A year down the line and it happens again?

IMO lessons are not being learnt, or they are being ignored.

gavintc

Guru
ComedyPilot said:
I am only being critical because it is bringing the sport I love into a negative light in the eyes of the viewing public. The beeb have stated it is a cycle-doping scenario. If it doesn't 'help' him or provide any performance enhancing attributes then how can it be a cycle-doping issue?

I say test ALL 'professional' footballers, and show the public what level of doping is actually going on.

My criticism against the manager/agent/friends/family is justified, as Tom's already been found to sniff a bit. Surely people with a financial/emotional connection to the bloke would, at that point (a year ago), have given him a slap and told him to get back to reality.

A year down the line and it happens again?

IMO lessons are not being learnt, or they are being ignored.

+1 - it is damaging to the sport. The way it was announced on the BBC - just another cycling doper.

ComedyPilot said:
If only it was that simple. We could scrap treatment for alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling and every other kind of destructive behaviour and replace it with a simple slap from the addict's mum...:smile:

It doesn't work like that CP. Boonen is a grown up and if he wants to be stupid, he will.

Oh and I presume everyone has forgotten the massive fuss made some years ago when Mark Bosnich (Chelsea goalie) was busted for coke. Oh and that other chap (can't recall his name but he cost Chelsea an absolute fortune) who was also sent packing on account of his coke habit.

OP
OP
Y

yello

gavintc said:
The way it was announced on the BBC - just another cycling doper.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Not with regard to the report I linked to anyway. It does correctly say it's recreational. No idea how it's being presented on the tele/radio though.

There's obviously some degree of near-hypocrisy about the issue generally though. There'll be no shortage of media people who indulge in recreational drug use and it does not impact on their 'performance' at work. Nor lawmakers, politicians, etc etc etc. And there are writers that are positively (ho ho) lauded for their drug induced performances!

To me, and many many others, it's no big thing that a sportsman has a joint or whatever. So I do wonder why such things make headlines.

That said, I've always maintained that a clever person knows the rules, makes their choices and accepts the consequences as and if necessary.

gavintc

Guru
It was my perception when it was announced on BBC 1 during the morning show as breaking news that it was another cycling doping scandal - few details were given beyond it was Boonen. The average viewer will not know who Boonen is and will just surmise - cycling up to its usual tricks.

gavintc said:
It was my perception when it was announced on BBC 1 during the morning show as breaking news that it was another cycling doping scandal - few details were given beyond it was Boonen. The average viewer will not know who Boonen is and will just surmise - cycling up to its usual tricks.
So how should they present it? If people assume that it's cycling up to it's usual tricks, well the clue is in the word 'usual' which has an ignoble history going back well over 100 year....:smile:

Sporting people and drugs will always be more problematic that writers etc. Drugs are held up as the opposite of the healthy and clean living sporting ideal. Look at the fuss when Shane 'fat bastard' Warne was caught having a sly fag. Nothing even illegal about that but it made headlines around the world. And politicians too. One admission that they had a crafty toke when they were a student can haunt their career for decades. It is hypocritical. We expect some people to be purer than pure and throw our hands up in horror when they turn out to be human. Others get way more slack.

OP
OP
Y

yello

gavintc said:
cycling up to its usual tricks.

Well, it has sadly earned it's reputation.

I don't doubt your perception one bit and could well image that peoples conclusions are drawn from inference rather than reported fact - or lack thereof. Maybe more could be done in reporting such stories to avoid false conclusions.

Top Bottom