Boring Cycling shoe question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
Buying my first pair of cycling shoes soon (spds). Already got the pedals, Shimano M520.
As I will be buying online, is it best to order a size larger than my normal shoe size?

rb58

Enigma
I'd strongly recommend getting to a shop and trying some if you can. I found the sizes and fit varied considerably between manufacturers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 to what RB58 said. I find that Spesh shoes are a more generous fit then the same size Shimano shoes.
Go to a shop, try a few on then order from the net if you want.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Buying my first pair of cycling shoes soon (spds). Already got the pedals, Shimano M520.
As I will be buying online, is it best to order a size larger than my normal shoe size?

This one's a matter that is close to my heart. I bought some Shimano MT33s last week from an online retailer.. My shoe size is normally EU 45. The size 45 Shimanos were way too small so I returned them for some size 46 shoes. They turned up yesterday and were still too small, and far too narrow. I think that either my feet have grown rather rapidly, or Shimano has a faintly exotic shoe size system. I'm returning them for a refund and visiting my local Evans this weekend. Be warned.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
You could always try Wiggle.

I got a pair of dhb R1's. I used Wiggle because of their returns policy (I think most online shops return policy is prob the same). I asked a question before buying as to what size I should get. They were spot on. By the way I take 7 1/2 Clarks and 8's in others and have extra wide feet so I got 43's. They also do a MTB shoe for the same price.

Rouge Penguin

Don't get really snug fit though, the foot will swell in the warmer weather and flattens as you cycle. Also, you may over tighten them (numb feeling about 100 miles in), just loosen off the straps and you'll be fine.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for the advice given.
I live near Oxford, will have to find the nearest large bike shop with a good choice of shoes.

Echo all the advice posted, you need to try them and allow a bit of foot-swelling room especially in the toe-box.

Bee-line in Oxford (Cowley rd) probably your best choice and Cycle-analysts 100 yards further-on. Summertown cycles also quite good but Beeline seem to have the most clothing.

Where abouts do you live Basil.B? Abingdon cyclist here!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Lidl MTB shoes are highly praised and are a bargain at about £19. Give Lidl a ring, and they will tell you if your local branch has them in stock. I did this last night but all the Lidls near me were out of them.

Good luck

gbb

Legendary Member
Take into account winter riding as well.
My shimano shoes (both pairs) are moderately snug, which is fine for the summer...but putting on even a thin pair of extra socks in the winter is uncomfortable.

OP
OP
Basil.B

Basil.B

Guru
Will try up the Cowley Road first, ta, Fab Foodie.
I live in Kidlington, so not far to go.
Evans at Milton Keynes is worth a vist, a mate has suggested also.

I was looking into buying a pair of SPD shoes late last year, one thing I found out was that Shimano appear to be a very narrow shoe, had to go 2 full UK sizes up to find a pair that were wide enough, but there was over 1" gap in the toe.

I ended up going to my LBS, tried on lots of various brands and sizes, and ended up with a very nice (I think so anyway) pair of Northwave SPD's.

Now, I may have saved a few bob if I had bought over the internet, but with footwear, I've always thought it best to "try before you buy"

Just my tuppence worth

Brian

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've had Specialized and Dhb (from wiggle). both were the same size i normally have. I was told Shimano came up small.

dhb are great for the money, around £40, can't fault them. i've had a second pair now (the others are still fine, i just wanted some pink ones :wub: )

Top Bottom