Boris' cycle hire scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
What are the general views on this, my initial opinion is why have this when he has done away with the western extension to the congestion charge!

How can he not be making the roads safer for cyclists and expect us to use them?

Will it encourage (non cyclists) on to the streets ?

Is the area covered by the scheme going to make it effective?

tfl.gov.uk/cyclehire

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
djtheglove said:
What are the general views on this, my initial opinion is why have this when he has done away with the western extension to the congestion charge!

How can he not be making the roads safer for cyclists and expect us to use them?

Will it encourage (non cyclists) on to the streets ?

Is the area covered by the scheme going to make it effective?

tfl.gov.uk/cyclehire

Just another gimmick...

borsuk

in my experience the bikes used are rubbish. i mean, really really bad - enough to put anyone off cycling tbh. the scheme works ok in tourist cities with large pedestrianised zones but it's pretty useless anywhere else, and certainly not for locals.

yello

They don't work very well.

A significant number of the Paris hire bikes have not been seen for some time.

I'm not quite sure how true that is, the first statement that is. It's true that a large number of the Paris bikes have been stolen or vandalised (some appearing on YouTube videos being used for stunting; it's become quite the done thing apparently!) BUT the company running the scheme (an advertising company, in return for free billboard space) claims that percentage wise the number is quite small and, in comparison to the number of successful rentals, is acceptable (if you can believe an advertising company!) The number is, however, more than they anticipated and the state has had to subsidise the scheme.

Similar schemes run in other French cities, notably Toulouse, where it is (or maybe was now, maybe YouTube antics have taken off there too!) successful.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
While I was in Paris I saw them being used all over the place. Almost all of them seemed in good nick and looked more than fit for purpose.
And it's not like Paris is super cyclist friendly or anything...

Methinks the Boris haterz are still smarting a little from seeing Ken get shot down so beautifully, and are ready to gun any idea he has just cos it's his.....

OP
OP
D

DJ

zimzum42 said:
While I was in Paris I saw them being used all over the place. Almost all of them seemed in good nick and looked more than fit for purpose.
And it's not like Paris is super cyclist friendly or anything...

Methinks the Boris haterz are still smarting a little from seeing Ken get shot down so beautifully, and are ready to gun any idea he has just cos it's his.....

I very much doubt Boris sits around thinking up these ideas, I suspect it came from some, government transport think tank , TFL for instance!!

And anyway what has Boris done for London so far absolutley diddly squat that's what, he is just another Tory puppet, like Cameron just there to say all the right things and not actualy do anything of any substance.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Indeed.

I may be wrong, but I think I remember people lauding Ken when this idea was first aired. Now Boris's name will be on it, people change rather suddenly

PBancroft

I am far from a Boris hater, but I still think its a terrible idea. I wouldn't want to use one of the bikes, and I bet other cyclists wouldn't. I reckon most non-cyclists wouldn't be keen to start cycling through London on one either.

Those that do are likely to be inexperienced and ill-prepared. They are, in my humble opinion, going to be a hazard to themselves and other road users (or, more likely, pedestrians). Far from getting more cyclists on the road, I think they are going to entrench in people's minds the idea that cycling is dangerous and that cyclists have no regard for the rules of the road.

OP
OP
D

DJ

Kaipaith said:
I am far from a Boris hater, but I still think its a terrible idea. I wouldn't want to use one of the bikes, and I bet other cyclists wouldn't. I reckon most non-cyclists wouldn't be keen to start cycling through London on one either.

Those that do are likely to be inexperienced and ill-prepared. They are, in my humble opinion, going to be a hazard to themselves and other road users (or, more likely, pedestrians). Far from getting more cyclists on the road, I think they are going to entrench in people's minds the idea that cycling is dangerous and that cyclists have no regard for the rules of the road.

+1 Clean up the streets, make the roads safer and then implement the scheme, but don't do one without the other, otherwise the end result will be charnage!

CotterPin

Kaipaith said:

djtheglove said:
[/b]

+1 Clean up the streets, make the roads safer and then implement the scheme, but don't do one without the other, otherwise the end result will be charnage!

djthe glove - I think it should be seen as an opportunity to make the roads safer for cyclists. I believe that some of the LCC groups in the area where the scheme will operate are already campaigning to ensure that there is safe passage between cycle stands, eg by improving permeability so cyclists don't have to go round complex gyratories, etc.

Kaipaith - I think there is also planned to be information on safe and responsible cycling. Yes - there will be irresponsible idiots on the road, but there are already (in all sorts of vehicles). Yes - there will be people who will use the opportunity to label cyclists as irresponsible, but, hey, that do that already!

I am very far from a Boris fan but I think this scheme should be given a chance to work by cyclists in London, and across the country.

Brains

Legendary Member
Personally I'm in favour of the idea, whilst I agree it may put off some people as they will cycle once and then after dealing with the traffic say 'never again', there will be others who join our ranks.

It will only take a few major transport disruptions for the bikes to become a "Brilliant Idea" - Remember the massive rise in London cycling with those we called the "bomb dodgers" ?

I also am very far from being a Boris fan, I would assume this was yet aother St.Ken's ideas that Boris has nicked. (Unless it goes wrong, in which cas it was Boris's idea all along)

D-Rider

I'm a semi-frequent visitor to London on business. Often staying in a hotel that isn't particularly close to wherever I happen to be working. I'd never bring my own bike down on these occasions but would certainly consider using a bike through this scheme.

Top Bottom