Boris Left Hand turn rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timmy201

Hi has anything further been announced about Boris' planned alteration to the rules governing left hand turns at traffic lights? It was mentioned that cyclists may be allowed to ignore red lights when turning left at a junction.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The DfT supported the idea of a pilot scheme, but what with the change of government, Boris bikes and CSs - the issue of "left on red" for cyclists seems to have stalled for the moment.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Hi has anything further been announced about Boris' planned alteration to the rules governing left hand turns at traffic lights? It was mentioned that cyclists may be allowed to ignore red lights when turning left at a junction.

They do it in some states in the US for all vehicles (except on right hand turns over there obviously). Having driven there several times, I have to say that it makes sense - Although only when pedestrians aren't attempting, or expecting to cross of couse.

In France, the (right-hand, obviously!) filter option - for all traffic - is indicated by a blinking amber right-arrow, alongside the red. Analogous to the green left-arrow seen in UK. But the thing is, this isn't always matched with a right-turn only lane; indeed it appears where the road's only wide enough for one lane. So if you're in a car, but behind another car that wants to go straight on or left - tough: you wait.

This may be an advantage to cyclists, but may heighten the risk of a 'right-hook' from a lorry or bus. I tend to keep away from such junctions when cycling.

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1207654"]
He was also trying to get the law changed to allow cyclist to enter ASLs over a solid white line. Has this also slipped?
[/quote]

You don't really expect a cyclist to stop at a solid white line when there's an empty ASL to go forward into....:laugh:

jimboalee

Riding in California, you have to have your wits about you. Look out for the sign "No Right on Red".
If you want to go straight ahead, you get in the second lane and let the right turners go between you and the curb.
If you are waiting to go ahead on a red, and there is the blast of a horn, it'll probably be a giant pick up truck.
Wave at him and get out of the way,,, into the middle of the second lane.

I rode round San Francisco. There are much less cars than in London. Left on red in London would be a nightmare. Even if it were cyclists only, I'll lay a pound to a penny there would be a cyclist down on the first day.

New York is NO right on red. Much safer for cyclists.

More wits to keep about you in sunny Calif. The lights change from red straight to green. So watch the transverse direction for their amber lamp before their red.
Their are NO traffic islands. Its lamps after lamps after lamps.

Jezston

Über Member
jimboalee said:
New York is NO right on red. Much safer for cyclists.

Sure about that? If so someone needs to tell the drivers there about it as that's where I found out about that rule after several scary incidents as a pedestrian!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sure about that? If so someone needs to tell the drivers there about it as that's where I found out about that rule after several scary incidents as a pedestrian!

In the 5 Boroughs of NYC there's no turn on red, the rest of New York State you can.
If a NYC cop catches you turning on a red you will get a ticket.

Origamist

Legendary Member
As we're nicely off topic, the amount of cycle lanes has increased dramatically in New York over the last 5 years. What's more, they've also started to deploy separate light phasings for cyclists (i.e. before motorised traffic).

Top Bottom